bass shipping questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocky55, Aug 2, 2005.

1. :help: I'm trying to figure out shipping cost to ship my bass to a potential buyer.
    What service do you usually use?
    What type of box?
    What would the dimensions be?

BTW, the bass is a Lakland 55-94 and OHSC.

I'm in Canada, but could probably take the bass across the border to a UPS (or other) outlet.

2. I usually use UPS, and I'm in the U.S. When I've shipped basses within the U.S. shipping has been somewhere between $30-50 if I remember correctly. When a bass was shipped to me from Canada the cost was around $70.

If I don't already have a box (I try to save bass boxes), I'd call Guitar Center to get a box. I'm not sure of the dimensions, though. I usually put enough foam peanuts inside with the case to keep it still/secure during shipment.
  3. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Stop by a local music store and ask them if they have any shipping boxes from any basses they have in stock. I've never had a problem and they are usually happy to give you one.....especially if they've seen you around before. If not the UPS stores sell a box that is the perfect size so you could always pick one up from them for a few $$$$$.

I've used UPS with no problems. I just shipped a Ric yesterday and it cost me $43 to ship from Ohio to California insured for $950.

The ideal dimensions would be just a tad larger than your case about 1" or so all around.
  4. i live in canada and only ship stuff one way. i take it across the line myself. otherwise you run the risk of brokerage charges and sticky fingers. i bubble wrap the basses and double box them (if no hard case) then ship them ups. usually i can ship a bass from washington state to the midwest for about $30 us. i've never paid more than about $40 us to send a bass anywhere in the usa. good luck.
  5. Thanks. That's was I was thinking about doing. I'm about an hour away from the Ontario/New York border. Do you have any idea about insurance? I'd be shipping a 55-94 with a value of approx. US$1700.

6. Crossing over into the U.S. before shipping would definitely get you around brokerage charges, etc. That will save you some $$$. Insurance is usually $1 for every $100 of insurance above $100. In other words, the first $100 of insurance is included, but you have to pay $1 for every extra $100 of insurance you want. So, for a bass with a $1,700 value, you'd be paying $16 for insurance.
  7. yup, good advice. i think it may only cost .50 cents per $100 dollars of value and the first $100 of insurance is inclulded in the shipping cost. regardless, insurance isn't that much. it's obviously well worth it. :)
  8. Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I just emailed the potential buyer again and it turns out he has a shipping account and would take care of it. I'll keep the information for the future though.

Thanks a bunch,
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm.......UPS must be a rip because I shipped a 5 string bass to New Mexico from Virginia, using Fedex Ground, in a gig bag (in a bass length box+packing materials of course) with enough insurance to cover the cost of the bass and it cost me only $22!! My total shipping weight was aprox. 11lbs. I'm assuming that shipping it in a HSC case adds a bit more to the shipping cost!
  10. I shipped a Jazz bass in a hardshell case about two years ago in the reverse direction to what you're planning to do (US to Canada) and sent it parcel post, as there was no real rush for it to arrive.

The box weighed 25lbs and cost $25.50 to ship.

It took about 20 days to arrive, and did so in good shape.

I had a bass-sized box lying around from an earlier purchase.

11. fedex can be cheaper at times so you have to check their website vs. the ups website. i've just had good luck (touch wood) sending ups so have usually done that. parcel post and usps can be a little slower at times. it seems like once you get over a certain weight, the ups and fedex companies are cheaper than usps and canada post. just my experience.
  12. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Check the external dimensions of the box you're shipping. They will charge you extra if it goes beyond their dimensions. I think they add up L + W + H. and if it's over say 171", you will be charged for say 75lbs.

The numbers are guesses from my last shipment. It was a Conklin 7 string, in a big flight case. I was right on the limit. Over by 1" it would have cost me $40 more, as they would have charged me for a 70lbs package, even though it was 30lbs.

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Sorry for butting in but I have a Qestion. I have a bass coming from Lakland, do they pack their boxes well? Has anybody had bad expirence with them? Thanks for any info. Like I said sorry for butting in. :D

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Thanks BSR6P-Bob I was worried there for a min. This is my first pro quality bass. I dont want anthing to happend to my baby. :D