Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Shop in Advert...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Eric Rene Roy, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Just got my July/August issue of FORTUNE SMALL BUSINESS and as I was quickly flipping through the pages I ran across a 2 page ad on pages 76 & 77 for HP that has pictured a bass repair shop. Anyone know which shop this might be (I am sure they are running the ad in other magazines)?

Picture doesn't look fake...

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I seem to recall a thread somewhere saying it was at Gage's shop in NYC, but I don't know that for a fact. I've seen the ad in a lot of different mags.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Somebody post the damn pitcher already! I am NOT going to buy a copy of FORBES...

4. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    [​IMG]

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I like the apple with the bite out of it next to lap-top-boy's foot.

6. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I guess if my business was selling computers I'd like them to seem less stupid, less prone to malfunction, less of a mortal pain to hassle with -- I'd like to suggest to people that they are simple and they produce results seamlessly, transparently, and without effort.

Anyone who has spent any time at all with computers knows that's a pile of bull**** you can smell from 10 miles away. And I say that as a computer guy!!

I'd like the computers to seem less UGLY-ASSED and COMMERCIAL and more BEAUTIFUL. Like, say, those big bass things!! Aren't they cool?

So, this guy's finishing off a report while he gets a soundpost adjustment? Writing the tuba part for his Low Down Concerto?

Maybe he's a luthier, and he's so busy with his INVESTMENTS that he can't set that post, he can't even set the laptop level, he's gotta DO IT NOW!

This ad is such a spun up, unauthentic pile of crap... I know I shouldn't be, but I *am* offended. This is the crassly commercial using the beauty and authenticity of music like a cheap whore.

If you can't tell by now, I can get worked up by ads. If it's a real shop, I hope the guy got paid.

One more thing: do you think the ad sells even ONE extra HP computer? In advertising there's an old saying "we know that half of all advertising is extremely effective; we just can't tell you which half." Then they yuck it up a bunch and one of them spills expense-accounted rib sauce on his pants. More hilarity ensues as the expenses mount!

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I still like the apple with the bite out of it :)

8. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Yeah, the apple's a cute touch....

9. I don't think I could work while a half eaten apple was calling me, and I was in a room full of basses.

10. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I don't work even while I'm at work...