Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Shoppin'

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gtodd876, Dec 28, 2005.

1. gtodd876

gtodd876

Jun 2, 2004
    Midlothian, VA
    I have been bass shopping for a couple years now trying to find a better bass in the 15k-25k range. I'm in the LA area so I have been checking Lisa's shop and World of Strings every few months to see if they have anything new and online I continue to check Robertson's, Andy Stetson's, Kolstein's and David Gage's shops to see what they have on their hands. I was just wondering if any of you that maybe have gone through this process recently and have any good leads or tips. I came close to going to Cinncinati to try a few Jakstadts but I never coughed up the money for plane ticket. The bass I have been dealing with for the past 10 years is easy to play but pretty weak sounding so I'm looking for an instrument that would be well suited for orchestra.
    Thanks for any help!

2. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    Have you tried Lemur, who is south of you near San Diego?

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Just keep looking, if time is a luxury. The right one will talk to you when you find it.

4. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I've always wanted to check this place out.

http://www.stringemporium.com/basscafe.htm

It's in the Phoenix area. You could take a quike flight, rental car and return in the same day.

Seems to have a interesting collection.

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    A couple of years!!? That's not shopping, that's browsing.

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  8. gtodd876

gtodd876

Jun 2, 2004
    Midlothian, VA
    Thanks for all the helpful replys so far! To whoever said I was browsing, I guess I apologize for saying I am shopping but I have been taken many basses home for a week at a time to really get to try them and if that is browsing then sure I guess thats what I'm doing but I am sorry I am not going to go into 20,000 dollars more of debt to get a bass that I am not absolutely sure that I will be happy with and I am also very busy so I do not get to shop everyday.... about Lemur, I have only tried Lemur a couple of times (back when I was bow shoppin') and I found nothing that I liked but it has been probably close to 6 months since I have been down there.... so I will head down there as soon as I get back in town. Nick :) - I heard great things from friends that went to the convention about your bass that won an award. If I go to Andy's I will definetly check out your basses. It would be too expensive right now because I don't have any friends there that I could stay with so the travel costs would be pretty high. There are also many auditions coming up so thats probably where most of money is going to go. Thanks again for the helpful tips!

9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks for the kind words about that bass... it has been sold. I will have another handmade instrument available in about two months. PM me if you are going to be in the 'nati.

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There's no need to apologize. I was just kidding with you.

But you have to realize that the prices keep going up each year so you'll eventually pay more for a bass you could have purchased for less.