Bass Shopping: Juzek Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mattwells, Mar 5, 2004.

1. mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    Well, in my search for a bass to buy, I came across a couple of really beautiful basses. One was a Voik and Geigel (I believe, the exact name and spelling slips my mind). It was an amazing instrument, 7/8ths and what a sound. The other was a Carved Czech Juzek. Probably 1938 or so. It was the one that spoke to me.

I am wondering, however, what is the "going market value" for the Juzek? I know it varies alot, but I really have no clue.

Matt Wells
    Athens, GA
  2. delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    I too came across some nice carved Juzek's on my bass hunt. Depending upon when/where they were made, the condition, and the sound I'd expect to pay anywhere from $6000-$9000. I hear the pre-wwII ones are worth more (<1939). If you really like it and the price isn't too high, I think they are good investments.
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Jeff..... "Agreed" ??......

Do you think you could say a single and powerful word like this on my post question?..... lol

Yes, Matt..... I agree as well but there is more.
    Remember, The Juzeks are Imports made by the same shops before and after WWII. First near Prague and then in Germany. All the makers of those shops moved to Germany after the War to avoid Communist rule. They made a few different models with and without Violin corners on several of them but with Violin Corners 'only' on the top "Master Art" model.

The higher the model, The higher the figure. Bobby Juzek once showed me the old pre-war catalog. It was a bit similar in model description to the Post-war catalog. I viewed it many times between 1966 and 1972 at the Juzek HQ. in NYC aka Metropolitan Music.

Funny thing, I called them this week (now in Vermont for about 25 years) to Get a neck graft block and the guy who answered the phone was Rob Juzek, Bobbys Son. Bobby's dad was known as Robert Juzek , John's Brother. Robert Juzek ran the company then in the 60s and early 70s when I bought my first Bass, the plywood lowest $ model and later the 'Master Art' model in '72.

Thier Basses are some of the Best buys you can get but remember, there are many qualities of Basses with thier labels. The Best were labeled Anton Wilfer and Wenzel Wilfer by themselves or under the Juzek label.

We had some Anton Wilfer Basses and Cellos in H.S.of Music and Art back in the 60s.
    In the 70s, I owned a 7/8 Anton W. and a 3/4 Wenzel W., both 'Master Art' models...... Those Basses were awesome......

Good luck on your Bass quest......
  5. where in VT ? do they have any basses for sale ?
  6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.