Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Shopping - Londoners please advise!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacklooman, Apr 11, 2004.

1. jacklooman

jacklooman

Oct 26, 2002
    Wiltshire, UK
    Hi, i'm looking to pay a visit to london over the next week or so to buy a new bass (they're hard to come by out here in the sticks...) so i could use some advice from the locals as to where the best place to look is. i've read a couple of threads on here about bass shops in london and the consensus seems to be bass centre and gallery good, cellar bad, but which one do you think would be the best for what im looking for? essentially im after a good four string production jazz bass, fender or similar, and i'd like to try as many as possible. my leading contender at the moment is the us deluxe j (the active version), but i'd definitely want to try it alongside us standards, possibly us vintage (i.e, the 62ri which i've played before and loved) other high end jazz styles (warwicks, yamaha, lakland etc.) and if possible some japanese basses (had very good experiences with a borrowed MIJ Pbass, as well as my own fretless) before deciding. max budget is approximately the price of the us deluxe j. So which place would you recommend a visit to that'd stock these sorts of basses and would be good about letting me try them all out? also any other recommendations of good basses to try would be welcome.

Jack Looman

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    If you don't mind second hand basses, you can check out this website - http://tuning.free.fr/bass
    I think you might find something worth trying there. There are some soudclips as well which are pretty useful.
    I'm not advertising for him, but he was pretty helpful when I was looking around for a new bass :)
    Oh yeah, he's located in central London... at least the last I heard

3. jacklooman

jacklooman

Oct 26, 2002
    Wiltshire, UK
    no, second hand isn't a problem, especially if it's something out of the ordinary (mmm, sadowsky ;-) but all the basses advertised on that site are 5ers+, and i really can't play comfortably on anything above a 4... cheers for the info anyway, tho!

Jack Looman

4. obligatory mention for the Gallery (they could benefit from moving to larger premises though....)

Sound Control in the basement of the Oxford Street Virgin Megastore have a full range of Fenders, Spector, Schecter, Yamaha.
    not the best place to try out stuff though- the staff aren't very knowledgeable and you have to contend with the noise of many other people trying out gear....