Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Shopping with Nino; what I've learned.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    First - Nino Brown's a great guy - he picked me up and payed the tolls too!!! And he understands the importance of Taco Bell. I feel a man is my brother more by his reaction to the suggestion of Taco Bell, than I do by his interest in the guitar of the deeper register.

Second - Spectors aren't all that bad. They even look a lot like Streamers :) .

We went to a store in Jersey that has lots of high-end basses you don't find in the big chains. I learned today that I can forget about trying to reproduce the MM sound on another bass. I tried a couple of Laklands (which I loved and was almost ready to trade everything in on), but on an A & B test with a MM, no dice. There's something that I'm sure now is totally unique to MM basses. I'm still on a hunt though. I have a Streamer Jazzman on special order so I can see if it does the job. For those interested - I'm looking for the perfect union of a Fender/MM sound. Don't believe it exists.

Fell in love today much to my surprise with a Peavey Millenium. I have that obsessed feeling in my gut like this is gonna be the next one. I liked the feel better than the Lakland, and I loved the price in comparison. I could go on and on. I love bass. I love bass stores. I love new basses. I've got rehearsal now. I've got to go. See yas.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Okay Joe... I'm just a little jealous here. Not only do you get to pal with a fellow TB'er, try out some basses... You get Taco Bell too!!! :D

Color me green...

-robert

3. Have you tried a G&L? The L-2500 or L-2000.

www.glguitars.com has some audio clips too.

4. also, have you tried a reverend? more aggressive than a fender, more smooth than a stingray, IMO.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Hey Nino and Joe...I'll be in NYC on the 2nd/3rd.

I'm left to my own devices while my wife is at a conference.

If yous are shopping around again, let me know where you're looking.

Later/

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    We went back to my house & he played most of my basses including my L-2000. I think he liked it. But my L-2000 only works passive.

MAN!!!!! I got to try a Modulus Quantum 5 w/EMG's & Barts & I loved them. I like the one w/EMG's better. I think I might have to buy ine of these sooner or later.

I brought my Sadowsky 5 string & nothing in the store that I tried compared, IMO.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Nino, my brother. I finally settled the GAS for a Modulus. I have to say I am more excited about playing it than I was about looking at it. And I was pretty excited about looking at it.

The bottom end of that bass is the most solid, coherent tone that I have ever heard. I have never played a Sadowsky or a Zon (never even seen one in St. Louis) but I have played everything else out there, and I wouldn't trade my Q5 for anything.

I have played out with it three times, and I am more delighted every time. That bass refuses to be buried in the mix. I did a gig last weekend where we used our mains but sent a feed off the board to the Arena's house system and they drove their integrated subs. Playing will all that focused bottom-end through a system designed to shake a 10,000 seat arena is truely a unique experience.

So far, my favorite feature about it is the bridge pickup. You can roll it completely back on the bridge PU for a VERY percussive slap/fingerfunk tone and unlike almost every bass that I have ever played, it loses none of the bottom foundation. I still get a ton of bass out of it.

Of course you can roll it the other way and back off the treble for a big, round boom that scares small children.

I have played both the EMG and Bartolini versions. Like you, at first I liked the EMGs. First of all, they were easier to play. The self-compressing character of EMGs took the edge of the VERY fast attacking composite board. But it doesn't take long for your technique to adjust. Once it did, I found the Bartolinis to to be much more natural sounding. A little woodier. One trusty TBer (I think Mr. Beef, Angus himself) suggested that the mid sweep feature adds even more tonal delight to the Q5. If I run accross a NTMB equipped one and give it a go and like it, I may upgrade to it. I am sure I could sell the 2-band that I have no on ebay.

Anyway, get yourself one. You'll enjoy it.

Chas

P.S. Nino, I really just replied so you could look at my avatar :D

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    *frankencow in a hypnotic state ON*

Chas,me like looking at your avatar,me get excited when me look at your modulus....