1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Shopping with Nino; what I've learned.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    First - Nino Brown's a great guy - he picked me up and payed the tolls too!!! And he understands the importance of Taco Bell. I feel a man is my brother more by his reaction to the suggestion of Taco Bell, than I do by his interest in the guitar of the deeper register.

Second - Spectors aren't all that bad. They even look a lot like Streamers :) .

We went to a store in Jersey that has lots of high-end basses you don't find in the big chains. I learned today that I can forget about trying to reproduce the MM sound on another bass. I tried a couple of Laklands (which I loved and was almost ready to trade everything in on), but on an A & B test with a MM, no dice. There's something that I'm sure now is totally unique to MM basses. I'm still on a hunt though. I have a Streamer Jazzman on special order so I can see if it does the job. For those interested - I'm looking for the perfect union of a Fender/MM sound. Don't believe it exists.

Fell in love today much to my surprise with a Peavey Millenium. I have that obsessed feeling in my gut like this is gonna be the next one. I liked the feel better than the Lakland, and I loved the price in comparison. I could go on and on. I love bass. I love bass stores. I love new basses. I've got rehearsal now. I've got to go. See yas.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Okay Joe... I'm just a little jealous here. Not only do you get to pal with a fellow TB'er, try out some basses... You get Taco Bell too!!! :D

Color me green...

-robert

3. Have you tried a G&L? The L-2500 or L-2000.

www.glguitars.com has some audio clips too.

4. also, have you tried a reverend? more aggressive than a fender, more smooth than a stingray, IMO.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Hey Nino and Joe...I'll be in NYC on the 2nd/3rd.

I'm left to my own devices while my wife is at a conference.

If yous are shopping around again, let me know where you're looking.

Later/

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    We went back to my house & he played most of my basses including my L-2000. I think he liked it. But my L-2000 only works passive.

MAN!!!!! I got to try a Modulus Quantum 5 w/EMG's & Barts & I loved them. I like the one w/EMG's better. I think I might have to buy ine of these sooner or later.

I brought my Sadowsky 5 string & nothing in the store that I tried compared, IMO.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Nino, my brother. I finally settled the GAS for a Modulus. I have to say I am more excited about playing it than I was about looking at it. And I was pretty excited about looking at it.

The bottom end of that bass is the most solid, coherent tone that I have ever heard. I have never played a Sadowsky or a Zon (never even seen one in St. Louis) but I have played everything else out there, and I wouldn't trade my Q5 for anything.

I have played out with it three times, and I am more delighted every time. That bass refuses to be buried in the mix. I did a gig last weekend where we used our mains but sent a feed off the board to the Arena's house system and they drove their integrated subs. Playing will all that focused bottom-end through a system designed to shake a 10,000 seat arena is truely a unique experience.

So far, my favorite feature about it is the bridge pickup. You can roll it completely back on the bridge PU for a VERY percussive slap/fingerfunk tone and unlike almost every bass that I have ever played, it loses none of the bottom foundation. I still get a ton of bass out of it.

Of course you can roll it the other way and back off the treble for a big, round boom that scares small children.

I have played both the EMG and Bartolini versions. Like you, at first I liked the EMGs. First of all, they were easier to play. The self-compressing character of EMGs took the edge of the VERY fast attacking composite board. But it doesn't take long for your technique to adjust. Once it did, I found the Bartolinis to to be much more natural sounding. A little woodier. One trusty TBer (I think Mr. Beef, Angus himself) suggested that the mid sweep feature adds even more tonal delight to the Q5. If I run accross a NTMB equipped one and give it a go and like it, I may upgrade to it. I am sure I could sell the 2-band that I have no on ebay.

Anyway, get yourself one. You'll enjoy it.

Chas

P.S. Nino, I really just replied so you could look at my avatar :D

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    *frankencow in a hypnotic state ON*

Chas,me like looking at your avatar,me get excited when me look at your modulus....