Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass shops, Engelhardts near SF

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by rjacobs, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Hi, I am a fairly solid jazz saxophonist and pianist, and a hack guitarist as well. I have decided to learn some upright bass (cause I am tired of always looking for a bass player), but there don't seem to be many reputable places around my area (I live in Palo Alto, in Northern CA) that sell basses. In particular, I have not found anyone that carries Engelhardts and I would at least like to try one of these as they come recommended in terms of student basses. I am also looking for a good rent-to-own scenario. Can anyone local point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!

2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    My first choice for a San Francisco area shop that carries and rents really good student basses would be the Acoustic Bass Shop at 528 Magnolia in South San Francisco, CA. His cell # is (650) 303-2333. Alex Friedman studied under Al Droyan for a couple of years and does nice setup and repair work. He's also a good jazz player and has great advice on pickups, amps, and other aspects of jazz gigging. Alex is a no-B.S. guy with a thick Ukrainian accent, a great sense of humor, and a heart of gold.

Steve Swan

3. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  4. There is a shop in Oakland called Best Music that sometimes carries Engelhardts (at least as of a couple of years ago, they did). They do rent-to-own (it's where I rented my first bass). It's not a bass house, it's a general instrument store that has band and orchestra instruments, but I believe I recall seeing an Engelhardt or two there. They're in downtown Oakland, at 1716 Broadway. You can probably track them down on the web.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Please send me a GigSpam once your ready to go, I just GOTTA see a tenor player accompanying himself on bass.

OR, alternately,

makes me want to pick up tenor so you can walk behind MY lame ass 76 choruses on a medium blues...

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    this makes me laugh, i knew someone was gonna do it.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm doing the same thing; I'm not satisfied with how my kids look, so I'm dabbling in recombinant DNA experiments.:bag:

8. "Hi, I am a fairly solid jazz saxophonist and pianist, and a hack guitarist as well. I have decided to learn some upright bass (cause I am tired of always looking for a bass player)"

That´s about the best DOA opening line for a bass players´ forum I´ve ever encountered. I think you are most welcome, sir.

R2

9. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    ROFL, now that's the best euphemism I've ever heard
    for foolin around :D

Hawaii, the beach, moonlit nights... ahhhh yes :)

10. ...for the leads, everyone. I'm really looking forward to playing a bunch of quarter notes. (Sometimes on saxophone, one is called upon to play sixteenth or even THIRTY-SECOND notes - it takes years of dedicated practice and rhythmic training.)

11. That´s why we have chosen to stay on the bass and not taking up saxophone. Playing a bunch of quarter notes is better for lazy bums
    like us.

R2

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Isn't that just tenorspeak for "Take another chorus, it's got to be better than the last one"?