Bass shops in Florida, tell me where.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by groov'ster, Feb 4, 2006.

1. I have a conference in March that I am going to attend. It takes place in Jacksonvillle.

I will have a rental car and a couple days of play time.

I have already looked at and am going to Bass Central in Fern Park.:hyper:

Gimme some other stores I can go to.

I'm taking the credit card or tax refund with me. Which ever is available. :D
  2. In Jacksonville, check out Don's Music and Pawn at 1918 Blanding Blvd. They're more of a vintage instrument store than a pawn shop.
    Music Depot is another good store, 5950 Ramona Blvd. They're a big store with a good selection, locally owned. Ask for Jimmy, he's the guy all my guitar and bass playing friends deal with.
    If you have time, check out The Guitar Station. They're a little south of Jacksonville in Green Cove Springs, at 421 Walnut Street. Their website is . They're a small store, but their customer service is the greatest. I've known Curt Towne, one of the owners, for about twenty years. He's the one with the long hair in the picture on the website home page. He's a working musician, and he'll go out of his way to help you. He worked at Music Depot before opening The Guitar Station, and back then, HE was the guy everyone dealt with. I still make the drive to buy all my strings and accessories from him. Take a look at the website and send him a message if there's anything specific you're looking for. That should give you a good idea whether or not it's worth it for you to drive down there.
    I have not been to Bass Central yet, but I plan to go one day soon. Have fun!
  3. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    synergy guitar in boca ahs a killer ritter roya!
    but its mainly a giutar store.
    I LOVE that roya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hyper:
  4. Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm a wee bit prejudiced (having worked there for almost 5 years), but having been to every shop I could find in Jax, I'd still highly recommend the drive (~2-2.5 hours if the traffic isn't horrible) to Bass Central in Fern Park (which is a northern suburb of Orlando) over spending any "real" time in Jax lookin' at stuff.

Bass Central is a true candy store for bassists, no fluff, no guitars or drums or PA stuff, just BASS STUFF, lots of it, and all the best available. After I'd worked there for a while, I just basically stopped going into other stores, I knew I'd just be disappointed.

If you don't make that trip, you won't have seen the best Florida has to offer bassists.
  6. Gard I'm glad you posted on this. I ran into my old teacher, Trip Wamsley, at the mall saturday and he also highly recommended you guys. He mentioned you and "grasshopper".

I plan on being there. There might be a homicide when I get back home, :D , but I'll die with something new in my hands hehehe.

I saw that you had a picture of Jamal Andrews posted on your site. I know him from CBM in Orlando. That cat can flat lay it down on the bass. He is the reason that I am really looking into a Ken Smith. Although I am also looking into MTD.

I plan on getting into Jax on March 21 and will probably come in that day, if not more. The conference can wait, I have more important things on my agenda.:hyper:
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Next time you run into Tripster, tell him I said hey!

However I no longer work at Bass Central, and am now at Roscoe. Grasshopper has left as well, although I believe he still makes the occassional appearance for repair work and fill-in for folks on vacation, as he lives nearby (it'd be a bit of a commute for me, I live in North Carolina now! :D ).

Definitely make it a point to stop in, as it is worth the trip, and I'm sure that Perry, Mike, Andrew, Keith, & Beaver will be more than helpful! Don't get shot when you get home, however, that isn't a good idea! ;)

Oh, and you'd better look into some Roscoe basses while you're there too!!!! :hyper: the way, you do know you have a very good shop within a reasonable driving distance from Lake Charles, right??? The Perfect Bass is in Baton Rouge....

8. Yea I am planning to go to Perfect Bass here in a couple of months as well.

I've read alot about the Roscoes but have nevr played one. You never know though it maybe a Roscoe.