Bass Shops in LA?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Hey guys!!

I'm going to be in LA for New Years this year. My buddy (also a bass player) and I are going to be looking for bass shops.

Are there any "must go to" bass shops in LA to check out??
  2. BlountEdge

BlountEdge I play (mostly) jazz basses Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Former contributing writer for Bassics Magazine
    I would recommend The Amp Shop/Bass Exchange in Sherman Oaks. It's a small store, but pretty cool. You can get the address from their website.

BlountEdge :bassist:
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Seconded. Ask for Justin or Gary. :)
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Also, there is the sam ash pro, across the street from that huge guitar center. They usually always have a pretty good selection of really high end gear. Last time I was there they had 2 foderas, a handful of smiths, alembics, Pedullas, vintage fenders, and other neat things.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You're not talking about the LA bass exchange are you? I thought they went out of business? That's where I got my Fodera, Amazing little shop, small, but filled to the brim with top of the line gear. Friendly owner, and overall relaxed vibe too.
  6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, wish they had more bass stores in L.A. I can't understand why not with the zillions of people in the city. But then again I could understand why there isn't with the sprawling GuitCenters and SamAshes just waiting to do their crazy "SALES" :rolleyes: and attract the majority of wide-eyed gear buyers.

Anyone else know of cool places to buy bass or any other gear in L.A.?

Black Market Music in west L.A. I heard has cool random items. Never been there so I'm not sure about their customer service or anything. But I heard good things.
  7. BlountEdge

BlountEdge I play (mostly) jazz basses Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Former contributing writer for Bassics Magazine

No, it's a different store. The LA Bass Exchange was located in Tarzana and is definitely out of business. However, (IIRC) I believe The Amp Shop/Bass Exchange has some of the unsold inventory from The LA Bass Exchange with more recent inventory added. When I was last there, they had a few Celinders and Foderas in stock, as well as some EBS and Aguilar amps. Also preamps, pedals, pickups, strings, etc.
  8. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    There are a few other guitar shops near the GC in Hollywood. My favorite is Voltage guitars, down the sidestreet just to the west, they always have a nice set of old Fenders. Treat them nice. If you can make it through the cacophony at the front of the GC they have a vintage room with some nice stuff. All way over priced, but...

There's also a pawn shop-like place on La Cienega, couple blocks south of Hollywood Bl, can't remember the name, filled with old stuff, a couple gems. Did a lot of talking and scored an Eden cab there at a reasonable price.
  9. Any others to add to the list before I leave friday? Double bass shops too if anyone knows of any..

Is the LA Bass Exchange closed then?
  10. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I usually start out at GC,then walk across the street and
    hit albert molanaro's place and work my way down the block
    to Freedom on the corner.I go in all the stores. :)
  11. Pardon my ignorance, but what GC? (dare I say guitar center?)
  12. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Yes that is where I usually start at Guitar center on Sunset.
    Then I cross the street and hit the Carvin factory store
    and all the stores on that side of the street and work my way down the block.
  13. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yup, just went in to the Mesa Boogie there on the corner. If only I had a million dollars. *sigh* Then MAYBE I could pick up one or two items... ;)

Damn this monetary based world...! Ack.

Okay, back to work. :D

14. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Thanx, I will hit this place on my next trip out. There is a
    good used CD store I found on La Cienaga.I found Promotional
    CD's there cheap,last trip I found best of John Entwhistle
    "Thunderfingers" and a Bela Fleck disc I did not have with a
    cool little promo pop up of Victor Wooten in it. :)
  15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Does anybody know what happened to Long Ly and Dave Avenus? If they've found a new home somewhere that is where I want to shop. The old LA Bass Exchange was the coolest music store ever IMO, and Dave and Long always treated me really well.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Last I heard, Long was working for Tara Labs, but Dave Avenius is working for Aguilar in New York. I ran into him at Winter NAMM 2003.

There was quite a story behind LABX closing. Apparently, Long went on vacation and came back to find the inventory gone. I think one of the financial partners felt Long owed him some money, and confiscated everything. It may even be the guy who now owns Bass Exchange. How's that for rumor? I believe Long posted something here about it.

I found this on another forum:

Let me say this, I would never buy anything from this company! There's a cat named Long Ly, a bassist and former bass instrument retailer who now works for Tara Labs. He actually tried to sell folks (on a bass related forum) AC cables for $375 and of course they sell all sorts of audio connect cables. I don't like being duped, period! He tried to convince folks that Tara AC cables would improve the audio of any componant (amplifiers) but could not provide any such proof. Blind tests and double blind tests were to be set up from six months ago and have not happened as yet.

Anyway, Radio Shack gold plated cabling is just as good as anything on the market.

And that settles that issue.
  17. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I am weary. I ordered something they said they had in stock on the phone and I ordered it through the website because the person said it would be easier. I have emailed many times to find out the status and haven't gotten a single response. All I ordered was a Comfort Strapp but I would think I could get an email at least stating "screw off".
  18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

Thats cool. I remembered the wierd long weekend repo deal, but hoped they had landed back in retail somewhere. Oh well.

Long really believed in the power of good cabling, and all the advice he ever gave me was spot on (not that I always listened to him ;) ) so I have no reason to doubt. I'll never forget him busting out his personal thunderbolt for me to check out when I was ordering my rapture J2. He told me the thunder pickups were better (he was right), he told me the F1-X was cleaner and faster than the SVP (he was right), he told me to get a second 210XLT instead of a 115XLT (actually, I think I nailed that one), he told me to check out terra cables (maybe thats why my old rig sounded better than my current one :ninja: ).

Damn shame that store fell apart. Anyway, if Long Ly gives you advice on bass tone, I suggest you listen.