Bass shops in Nairobi, Kenya?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sweet thunder, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Just started a new job in Arusha, Tanzania. Left my gear back home in the States (in a fit of stupidity). Crying like hell. Someone please help. :)

From everything I've gathered Nairobi, is the place to buy instruments in Eastern Africa. Thinking about hopping the Dala Dala and taking a visit.

Does anyone know of good music stores in Nairobi? I'm looking for a fretless jazz bass and amplifier in particular. All help is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.
  2. Jambo! I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Kenya '92-'94. I seem to recall a couple guitar shops along Kenyatta - Moi intersection. The choices will be extremely limited I'm sure. I'd suggest getting an acoustic bass if you don't have your own generator. The last time I was in Arusha, just off a wananchi bus from Dar and suffering from food poisoning, the whole city was dark due to common black outs. Great memories. Safari salaama rafiki yangu.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What are you doing for work? How long will you be there?

4. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

Jambo mzungu..habari? Mazouri sana

Good luck sweet thunder. Beautiful place with great people. The acoustic bass thing sounds like the way to go. Try to get down to Dar es Salam. Very charming place. If I'm not mistaken, there might be air service between Arusha and Zanzibar. Try hard to get to Zanzibar. It's special.

hacuna matada amigo:)
  5. Thanks all, for the responses!

I'm actually mzungo and mohindid or mzungohindi; half Indian/half European. This has become a running joke with the resident street vendors. I'm working for the UN on their Rwandan genocide prosecutions and will be here until early May, perhaps till August.

Haven't had too many problems with blackouts in the three weeks I've been in town: many smaller ones, but only one that has lasted more then fifteen minutes.

Apparently there is relatively affordable air service between Arusha, and Zanzibar. I'll definitely going to make the trip if my finances hold.

I'm somewhat shocked by how expensive and hard to find instruments are in this town. I think I may end up just having my friends buy a bass for me at home and send it through the mail.
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I'm in Geneva, UN central. If someone from here is headed your way, I offer my services to pick up a bass if you want. Just ask.