Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Shops in New Jerset?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dad Bass, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    I anyone aware of bass shops in New Jersey other than Sam Ash. I mean shops that sell and repair UR basses.

I am near New Brunswick.

Thanks.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Where in Jerset?

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    for electric I assume... try

http://members.aol.com/njgtrbass/frames.htm

New Jersey Guitar and Bass Center
    995 Amboy Ave.
    Edison, NJ 08837
    732-225-4444

I know a guy Joe that does some repairs there.

if you don't mind the travel one of the best I know is here in Toms River...

Paul Unkert, "The Guitar Guy"
    Toms River, NJ
    732-286-2333

4. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Ok Typo was the misssing Marx brother.

It should be NEW JERSEY.

The Guitar and Bass Center does NOT sell uprights and at last count their repair guy was part time.

Again, I am looking for a location that SELLS and REPAIRS upright basses in NEW JERSEY.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Gotcha.... Yes the repair guy is part time.

Paul *plays* URB in a bluegrass band, but I think his focus in electric stuff for repair.

How about our very own URBBob?

http://www.gollihur.com/

He's a Jersey Boy

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Stay out of Music stores. Go to the better Bass shops/dealers in NYC or see Arnold in Brewester. It is not too far for you to travel. I make the trip from PA to both Arnolds and Biase in NYC whenever I need things.

Are you buying a Bass or need one fixed? If fixed, what is the Problem.

7. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Ken, I am looking to buy and unless I misunderstood several thousand threads here, the setup/repair is criticial.

So.... I am looking for both in one place.

Pete

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You're probably not too far from Shank's place, which is Central PA -- not too far when you're dropping that kind of coin, anyhow.

http://www.ShankStrings.com

Give Mike and Linda a call and see if they have anything over there that's in your ballpark.

9. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Pete,
    In your immediate area I see Jay Van de Kopple in Midland Park, 914 332 8236 and Alfons Vavra in Fort Lee, 201-461-6144. Jay is all bass I believe, and Alfons is an excellent violin luthier. I'm not certain if he does bass or not. Other than that, Don Z is near Philly-215 793 3355, Jeff Bollbach is out on the island, and Arnold Schnitzer is north of the city.
    G/L!
    John

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i cant believe no one has mentioned david gage in nyc and barrie kolstien on long island.... i live at the jersey shore, and i wouldnt go anywhere else... the drive is worth it. most guys in jersey use one of those guys. i've actually run into rufus and eddie gomez in kolstiens, and gage has a who's who of bass playing as his customers as well. gage is closer and less of a hassle to get to, but only sells basses on consignment. kolstien is an awesome guy and actually owns the basses he sells, so they're set up, or will be set up the way you like it when you buy it, and kolstien's customer service is exceptional when it comes to basses he sells. he's stood by the bass he's sold to me many times. as far as i know with gage, since he doesnt actually own the basses, you buy as is, and if you need something set up, or if the bass comes with a crack, you have to deal with that seperately. but i'm not 100% sure.

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well you can also c'mon up to Connecticut and visit Upton Bass in Mystic. Great values for the $$$ and superb setup.

12. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Try Bob Riccardi in Pennsauken, NJ. He's done some work for me and I am very satisfied. He does have some basses for sale I believe. I don't have his phone number handy but you can do a google search with his name and his info should come up.

There is also a guy in Ardmore Pa, Paul Stevens, who sells all types of stringed instruments, including basses, and does repair work. Again try a google search.

I'll try and get these phone numbers and post them on a new thread.

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Let's see, posted in DOUBLE BASS, actually SAYS "sells and repairs UR basses..."

Yup, I see why you made that asuumption.

14. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    slight derailment here: anyone know any good Double Bass sellers in Boston? flying up tomorrow, just want to see some fine wood while i'm in town (not too many chances for that in Maryville)
    thanks, all!
    Dave

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There's Rutman's http://rutmansviolins.com/

Also you should call Volker Nahrmann

http://www.nahrmannbass.com/basses/home.html

Give me a call if you want.

Fred

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Where in NJ? In Livingston there's Menzel Violins at www.menzelviolins.com. I bought my bass from Bob Gollihur and the guys at Menzel set it up very nicely.