1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Shops in Paris? Jazz Clubs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aarix, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm heading to Paris this coming week to ... um ... provide emotional support for my wife who is giving a presentation at a genetics conference.

Ok, so I'm really just going along for vacation. :)

I've got some free time (without the wife) on Thursday and was hoping I might get to check out a music shop with some high-end European basses.

Anyone have any ideas of a good place to swing by? I'm hoping to avoid the humilation of calling up music stores and asking "Avez-vous les guitares de basses chères?" in my broken, high school level, NC accented French.

Je parle francais tres mal...

On a similar note anyone know any good spots where I can find some great live music?

Merci!
    Eric - un voyageur ignorant

2. Hi Aarix,
    Welcome to Paris...
    euh sorry I am not from Paris...
    For Music stores, it is all around Pigalle (tube station)...
    For music, just get a little cheap weekly newspaper called "l'officiel des spectacles" and you'll have all the dates for live music and jazz clubs
    The better for you would be to let a message in Onlybass.com which is the French board (very active and friendly) I am sure you'll find someones who will appreciate to have a good reason to go to bass shops.
    http://forum.onlybass.com/index.php?showforum=10

Sorry my English typing has a dreadful accent too:smug:

3. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks Nanookanono! Do you think it would be alright to post in English? Maybe with a French title?

Should I mention that I don't like George Bush either?

4. OH yes, I'll come as soon as possible and translate, but most speak English in fact.
    Oh yes no problems in fact some like and some don't. I think anywhere we don't have the politicians we deserve...

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    http://www.californiamusic.fr/

This shop is on rue de Douai. There are about a 6-8 stores on this street. It's a bout a half block from the Moulin Rouge. Find the Moulin Rouge. Stand across the street facing it. Douai is to your right about 2-3 streets. Some neat toys there.

Have fun. I love Paris. Great looking chicks. :p

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Small tip: if you know some french, use it, even if it's just to say excuse moi or sth and then continue in english. French are pretty chauvinist and they can be very rude if you only speak english - i mean you can talk english, they understand perfectly but still answer you in french. Actually they can be rude even if you speak french. Paris is a beautiful city, but I'm not really looking forward to going there again because of the people.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
  8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Belgium
    +1 this street is full of great shops !

noway ! perhaps you have met some dork.

if you know some words in french, it'll be funny to speak with someone but most of Parisians speak english, they'll chat with you in english.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Don't worry about the language thing. Paris is extrememly cosmopolitain and has people from all of the world visiting with limited French. Especially if you're downtown. Going out of town to the villages may present a challenge.

10. I was in France last summer and i've only met two people in 10 days who didn't know any english, and none of the others had been rude, and i don't speak any french at all.

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Good to hear, I was just sharing my experience (and many other people's I've talked with about it). The people in the Netherlands are the complete opposite, warm and welcoming (and they also speak better english than the british) - maybe it's because of the grass though :smug:

12. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I don't like Paris too much either. My brother lives there, everybody feel so, ...aggressive! Same in London. At night, it's a completely different story though. Big bustling city centres in daytime are hell.

13. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    thats rubbish, i lived there for 2 years and Paris is not aggressive in the slightest, maybe if you go out lookng for trouble youll find it, you of all people should know that, coming from liverpool which is a complete dump.
    paris is great for guitar shops , lots of them but you might find they are a bit expensive compared to the states or UK. Also don't bother trying to bandstand in a shop, it's not welcomed.;) i know becuase they stopped letting me try basses out.

14. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    haha, yeah, it's a nice place -- however, if you make an effort to speak french [je parle un peu de francais, mais seulement un peu] they'll be very nice to you.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021