Bass shops in San Diego

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stuarthutch, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Hello fellow TB'ers

I'm over in San Diego from the UK with work for a couple of weeks. I do have to work on the weekend unfortunately, but plan to take a couple of hours out to go visit some shops and maybe blow some dollars! Can anyone give me some names of shops and street where I can go and try out some gear.
    thanks in advance

ps. Any live music in the area tonight?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say Bass Alone on Voltaire in Ocean Beach is the only real bass store in town. Mostly high-end exotics, but he's started carrying Cort and stuff. I saw a Fafner in there once.

Right now, GC La Mesa and GC San Marcos don't have much unusual to look at.

Guitar Trader on Ruffner has a few basses, but nothing special.

Moonlight Music in Encinitas on Highway 101 usually has a selection of used basses. Could be a sleeper here.

There's a little place called Liberty Music on 53rd Street off El Cajon Boulevard that has a few basses, maybe some Pedulla. Be careful, though. This is the guy who swapped out the speakers in the XST he has on the floor.

Sad to say, San Diego ain't the swingin' bass spot. Happy hunting.
  4. I third Bass Alone. I love that store. But sadly yes, as Munibunga pointed out, there's not much.

But how much do you want to spend? The Guitar Centers in San Marcos and San Diego have Warwicks and a couple Fenders. Guitar Trader (, in Claremont Mesa has a bunch of Fenders and some String Rays, but nothing much other than 2 12-string Hamer basses. Another choice is Freedom Guitar ( they have some older stuff and just neat stuff. There's also Apex Music ( down there too.

If you're heading up to North County, there's Music Mart (, Moonlight Music, American Music Exchange, and Buffalo Bros ( Music Mart has a Brian Moore bass and a fretless Godin bass. Moonlight Music has a bunch of basses ranging from Fenders to an old Univox violin style bass. American Music Exchange doesn't have that much, just some general basses. Buffalo Bros has G&L stuff that I really dig and a Ric and an Alembic in there.

Also if since you're spending a couple weeks down here, I also suggest the Reader ( and look at the classifieds.

As for local music, depends where you are and how old you are. If you're going to be up in North County this weekend, The Mattson Trio will be playing Miracles Cafe this Sunday at 10 AM. The Mattson Trio are these three kids my age (16) who do straight ahead jazz music and I really dig them.
  5. Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
  6. Or Freedom Guitars on El Cajon:eek: it's just down the street from GC in the College area ( La Masa). hey now, be nice... I once bought a mint 1949 Kay M-1 from those nutty guys at a very good price. They usually have some cool over priced vintage stuff.
    Your best bet is Bass Alone in OB,,and while you're in OB go down to Newport street it's always a gas..
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, the GC near Freedom Guitar moved over to Grossmont Center, so they're not just down the street anymore.
  8. Ok sorry, I haven't been over there in a long time,,sorry for the misinformation.
  9. thanks everybody, still stuck in the office today but will get out on Sunday for sure.
    thanks again