1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Shops in Southfield, MI / Detroit area

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by *fenderbass*, Aug 28, 2007.

1. *fenderbass*

*fenderbass*

Dec 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I'm traveling to Southfield, MI for work and would love to sample the local bass shops.

There aren't a lot of places close to where I live so it's always interesting to talk to luthiers and play instruments when the opportunity presents it's self.

Also, looking to check out some live music while I'm there. Are there any Blues or Jazz clubs worth a visit?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Cocoa, FL
    Check out Baker's Keyboard Lounge on Livernois. There is a place downtown @ Greektown - I think it is called the Jazz Kitchen. I've not been there but hear it is pretty good. Jazz Fest is going on this weekend as well!!!

As far as bass shops, I don't know of any dedicated to double bass, but I'm sure there are some there.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, get in touch with Kevin Flannery and set up an appointment. He is in Grand Rapids and has some beautiful instruments.

Good luck!

3. *fenderbass*

*fenderbass*

Dec 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I would love to be there for Jazzfest this week. Unfortunately, I'm not traveling until mid September. I'll try and check out Baker's and the Jazz Kitchen.

Thanks!

4. Call Gary Ritter! (734)449-4021. He lives in South Lyon, probably a 30-45 minute drive from Southfield. He has an entire room of beautiful basses. Definitley worth checking out. He worked on my Kay bass and did a wonderful job. Many bassists in Ann Arbor and Detroit go to him; Paul Keller and Dave Sharp to name a few. If he asks, tell him who sent you ;-)

Look into the Firefly Club in Ann Arbor. They have good music, and a really great venue.