Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Shops In Toronto

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by kaybass1952, Dec 21, 2005.

1. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    I'm visiting Toronto this week and was wondering if anyone could recommend any stores in the downtown area . I'd like to check out basses and bows.
    Thanks

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I was actually just doing the same thing today. I went to The Soundpost, which is EXCELLENT for cellists and violinists :p. They had three basses there -- a Jay Haide (wonderful looking carved, spoke beautifully,) a carved Czech that projected VERY nicely, and another one that was in a corner behind rows and rows of cellos.

As for bows, they had a lot of French ones. Two Germans -- a student model unstamped with white hair ($185) and a $4000 Reid Hudson with black hair. The Reid Hudson with the Jay Haide was beautiful.

IMO, this place is GREAT for strings. I picked up a flatchromesteel G for my DB today -- not only was it actually *in stock*, but I got it for $48 -- the Heinl catalog lists it at $67 or so. It's right downtown -- go west on College, then turn north onto Elizabeth, and west again onto Grenville. You can spit from the turn to the store -- it's in a large, old house. Great acoustics. They close at 6pm.

The other store, Heinl, I imagine is somewhat larger and more expansive in relation to basses. I didn't get into Toronto until 4:45 and had to stop by my brother's apartment first, so we couldn't get there in time (they close at 5 during the week, except for Thursday, which is 6pm.)

There are others nearby, but I'm not familiar with them. I'm not really sure where you are (any chance on you filling out your profile?) but there's a store in Stratford called Reidstra's that has a lot of bass stuff listed on their site.

3. DonQuartz

DonQuartz

Dec 18, 2004
    Ontario
    Heinl's is by far the best place to go for basses and bass bows. They have some exceptional Italian basses as well as much less expensive ones. Their repair shop is among the best anywhere and their string selection is huge.
    They are at 201 Church St. just south of Dundas.
    416-363-0093

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Do they have a website?

5. http://www.thesoundpost.com/

I've had some good luck at the SoundPost (Kay repair, new bow, lots of books). I'd love to visit Heinl, but it's a 9-5 operation and that's when I'm at the office. In seven years of playing db I've never been there!

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, I really wish I could've checked out Heinl's. My teacher (Mike Perlin) reccomended I check 'em out, but I just couldn't get into town in time.

7. I play electric, but I know I've seen some DB's at Long and McQuade upstairs in the band dept on Bloor St.

Although that's probably tantamount to blasphemy to you lot! :D

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks for this post. I knew of the Soundpost but not Heinl. A proper DB is in my future for sure.

9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
  10. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    I recommend before taking your bass there to be worked on, pm or email me.

Brent

11. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    I'm guessing from Brent's post that he has an opinion on Heinl's which is less than completely positive...

I stopped doing business with them a year and a half ago. I won't be going back. This is the only store in Toronto - of any type - that I can say this about.

The people at The Sound Post are friendly and honest, although they don't have huge numbers of basses. If you're looking for vintage plywood basses, Capsule Music (Queen Street West of Bathurst) usually has a few.

My 2 cents...

Paul (Eh_Train)

12. Reidstra's is in Kitchener. I visited last year. If you plan on visiting, you might want to let them know because they only keep one bass in the shop. I was told the rest are kept in a basement somewhere else.

13. I visited Reidstra's for the first time this year - it was worth the drive! They had a half dozen basses there (with more to come in from their Stratford shop). When I'm in the market for another bass, I plan to see them again....