1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass shops/Luthiers in the Detroit area?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Mar 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have a new student who will be joining my studio next year who lives in this area who is looking for her first double bass. I have recommended a Shen SB100 or something in that range of basses. Does anyone know of reputable shops or luthiers in the general area? I have checked Gollihur's page but haven't found a place I can tell enough about to recommend to her. Thanks!

2. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I'd suggest Mccourts in Waterford. They seem quite knowledgeable

McCourt's Music

3. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    Unfortunately there's not really a great bass luthier/shop anywhere immediately around the Detroit metropolitan area- when I was shopping for my first bass I had a really difficult time finding an instrument. The closest quality option is Aaron Reily in the Grand Rapids area- a bit of a drive (2.5ish hours), but definitely worth the trip- he usually carries a bunch of well set up stuff in the range you're looking at.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    Wilsons Fine Violins in Birmingham, he's. luthier and has basses to rent. McCourts has a shop in Berkeley also.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021