1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BASS SHOWDOWN; Ernie Ball Bongo 6, Roscoe Lg3006 (used), Ibanez Prestige SR 5006

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 33EMC33, Nov 24, 2018.

Which bass do you suggest?

Poll closed Dec 24, 2018.
  1. Bongo 6

15 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. (used) Roscoe Lg 3006

31 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Ibanez Prestige SR 5006

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. 33EMC33

33EMC33

Nov 24, 2018
    They all have incredible versatility, mid-range control, and are regarded as well crafted and extremely playable by everyone who plays them. Input please!

2. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Are they all 34inch instruments?
    When I was looking at non custom 6-strings the Bongo was an option, but the price in Australia is a joke.
    $4500? So I have a Dingwall NG3 6 coming in January - only $3000
    The Ibanez is very pretty and plays nice.
    The Bongo has a strange looking body but sounds great - only looks good in black IMO.
    The Roscoe's body is small which makes the neck look super wide.
    So, yeah I choose The Dingwall:
    ng3-6-metallic-black-e.

3. 33EMC33

33EMC33

Nov 24, 2018
    Bongo- 34 inch
    Roscoe LG- 35 inch
    Ibanez SR- 34 inch

The Bongo is only 2500 in the States, 2100 w/out the case or protection plan in black gloss. Makes it a little more accessible than Dingwall in my scenario.
    The Roscoe has other (bigger) body options than the LG, like the Century. Personally I like the look of the tight body, kind of a turn off when I look at the Bongo to be frank.

All in all, you were no help Larci ;) ;) ;)

Larchi and scottm like this.
  4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have owned quite a few 6's and presently have a G.Gould ggi6, a Roscoe Century 6 FL and two Peavey Cirrus 6's.

I had an Ibanez Prestige for a while and did not bond with it. I did not care for the electronics and the B string was not that good sounding on the one I had. IMO the 35" scale really helps the B string to sound better. My ggi6 has the best B string of any bass I have ever played...other than 2 other ggi6's that are in San Antonio.

I ordered a Bongo 6 from Sweetwater and loved the bass except for the wide string spacing at the nut. Something about the ergonomics of that string spacing was not a good fit for me. It sounded wonderful and played great but felt really slow to get around on. My Cirrus 6's are the easiest for me to play. The tight string spacing fits me just right and Cirrus are well known for having great fret jobs and the action on my Cirrus basses is very low.

You might consider shopping for a Cirrus 6. They typically go for about $1100 when you find one in great shape in the original case. That is a real bargain IMO. One thing to watch for, if that sort of thing bothers you, is that the gold hardware on Cirrus basses usually is worn. I've replaced the tuners on both my 6's since that sort of thing does bother me. My 5 string Cirrus came to me in like new condition.

33EMC33 likes this.
  5. 33EMC33

33EMC33

Nov 24, 2018
    It's funny, I never really considered Peavey's higher end models for the same reason many people don't consider mainstream brands (like Ibanez), because of their lower end models. Never played a Cirrus 6, but my interest is piqued. I noticed the pickups are placed pretty close together, does it lean towards a "P tone"? My goal is to get the "least biased" most versatile bass tonally.

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Based on my experience, Roscoe LG 3006 all day, every day. No brainer.
    With that said, I'd also give a huge thumbs up to the recommendation on the Peavey Cirrus 6 string basses. They are an amazing instrument at a bargain price. They have a fantastic, "modern" tone, great build quality, great electronics, etc.

If you can swing the Roscoe, that would be my first choice. If not, there are some great Peavey Cirrus 6ers on Ebay and Reverb.

Just my $.02 as always.

FilCo, IronSpatula, scuzzy and 2 others like this.
  7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Roscoe you had me at 35”

scuzzy, masonsjax and B-Lo like this.
  8. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Cirrus basses sound quite similar to Ken Smith basses. Not like a P bass IMO. Probably closer to the Jazz bass sound but with more girth. The Cirrus and Millennium basses are fantastic bargains these days. They were underappreciated when in production and highly prized by those of us that own them now.

I have an alder body 6 with a redwood top, a walnut body 6 with wenge top, an alder body 5 with maple top and a Millennium Plus 4 that has a flame maple top. My Millennium 4 is the less often seen J/J model.

SpazzTheBassist and 33EMC33 like this.
  9. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I should add that I have owned several Roscoe 6 string basses and they were all wonderful. You won't go wrong with a Roscoe if you can afford one.

masonsjax and 33EMC33 like this.
  10. 33EMC33

33EMC33

Nov 24, 2018
    I'm definitely in the market for a used Roscoe, new are out of my price range. It seems like they're the crowd favorite as well.
    And wow, the amount of reviews "fanboi"ing over the Cirrus 6 are impressive. People really love the sound and feel, quality of construction. Threw a 4th option in mix!

11. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    Never played a Bongo...I hear great things about them, but I can't get over the looks.

Played and owned a few Ibbys in the 600, 700, 800 and 1000 series, but none in the 5000 series. Solid instruments IMO and I'm sure the 5000 series are beasts.

...which brings me to my next point. Is the SR5006 such a beast that it could stand up to the Roscoe? I have no idea, but I have an LG3005 and it slays all day long.

My vote is to get the LG3006.

masonsjax and 33EMC33 like this.
  12. 33EMC33

33EMC33

Nov 24, 2018
    That's definitely the direction I'm leaning, although I've never actually played a Roscoe before (not sure if that's more or less of a reason to get one), but am positive I won't be let down.
    The SR5006 probably doesn't hold up to the Roscoe.I was least impressed by the lack of output and a slightly flabby 'B', although the tone versatility was seriously impressive.
    That's what the Bongo seems to have in spades with an 18v pre amp.

13. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Not sure how set you are on the SR, but have you looked into the upper end BTBs from Ibanez? That would be a more "fair" comparison to the Roscoe since both are 35" scales with wider string spacing. I had a BTB1805 for a few weeks and it was a superb instrument. The low B was solid as a rock, too.

dralionux and 33EMC33 like this.
  14. 33EMC33

33EMC33

Nov 24, 2018
    I'm really glad someone brought the Ibanez boutique option up. I would definitely get the 6 string BTB 1826EB version, but also love the BTB 846SE look. I just think I prefer the Aguilar pickups to the Bart B2's. A fifth option!

15. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    You won't be let down by the B string on the Roscoe. It lives up to its hype (in my humble opinion of course).

While we're on the subject, you may also want to consider a used Spector Forte if you can find one in the same price range as a used Roscoe.

To my ears, the B string on the Forte runs a close second to the Roscoe.

33EMC33 likes this.
  16. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had a USA made Spector 6 for a while. It was a fantastic bass but...the ergonomics did not work for me. I had to reach to get at 1st position. I traded that bass straight across for the Roscoe Century 6 FL that I have and the other guy who is bigger than me loved the Spector. If you are small, the Spector may not work well for you.

33EMC33 likes this.
  17. 33EMC33

33EMC33

Nov 24, 2018
    The aesthetic of the Bongo never bothered me much (aside from the 4 string models, they seem off), mostly because I'm not placing a lot of weight on that attribute. With that said, I love the LG bodies, was wondering about neck dive with 6 string models? And does the Bongo 'B' compare t do you know?

18. mngnt

mngnt

Aug 9, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
    Is string spacing a factor in your decision? When I bought mine I wanted 19mm and went F-bass (another option for you to consider)...

33EMC33 likes this.
  19. 33EMC33

33EMC33

Nov 24, 2018
    One more question! What is the 'LG' body type tone??

20. 33EMC33

33EMC33

Nov 24, 2018
    I do a fair amount of slapping and imagine I would enjoy the wiggle room but have always adapted to varying spacing.