1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Showdown (Warwick $ vs Ernie Ball MM)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Delsan, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Warwick

44.0%
  2. Ernie Ball

56.0%
  1. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Bowmanstown
    For a long time, this question has been on Warwick-fans' minds. Can you make a Warwick FNA/$$/M style bass sound like a Stingray? The answer is quite simply, a good one. Feel free to discuss your own experiences- I'm all ears to any different opinions.

I made recordings. They were all recorded via cell phone voice recorder (the sound quality is a lot more pleasant than you'd expect), and an Acoustic amp (not my favorite brand, but it did the job).
    15589665_10211844785822164_3415748372686738864_n.

The Ernie Ball Stingray put up a very strong front. 2-band EQ, with a natural "glassy", "hallway reverb" tone, it's easy to see why a lot of people like this instrument. It sounded great in flat-tone, but by boosting the treble, the real Stingray started to wake up. There is no strong word to describe the tone- not in the way people describe Warwicks as "growly", Spectors as "hi-fi", or P-basses as "punchy". I believe the vernacular amongst Stingray people is "grease". A lip-smacking, gutteral, mix-shredding "grease". It's awesome- and given that I rarely get to play one of these beasts, it was tempting to put some money down on it. However, this day I AM A SCIENTIST. So I will simply enjoy it.

The Masterman puts up an impressive offense however, whammy bar included. It's much lighter than the EB, and for my hands (which are used to Warwick), I find it much more comfortable. However, the sound is also every bit as good- even if it lacks the natural GREASE of the Stingray. Playing flat was joyous but- as I enjoy the versatility of the Twin Jazz humbucker, I engaged the bass and trebles on each pickup-side. A little bit goes a long way, and this bass went from being clean and nice to murderous and savage. I'd love to have one of these- especially after getting a Fortress ONE and finding out how comfortable this body style really is (ridiculous <3). I couldn't resist playing The Awakening, with that whammy there.

The Corvette $$ is innately more versatile due to its pickup arrangement, hence I was tempted to only use the bridge pup for my test. This is my personal piece, however, so I'm the most familiar with what it can bring. 2-band EQ plus the ability to coil tap both pickups means that the Corvette $$ is much more versatile. I've been told the Corvette sounds the most smooth (as I ran all of them initially in flat-tone). Again, the glassy, greasy goodness from the treble knob that likely attracts a lot of people to the Stingray was not there, but the Corvette's bite was just as stinging, bombastic and cutting as the Stingray. I am of the opinion that you could not tell the difference in a mix- and that grease is only as palpable as the Stingray is isolated. Boosting the bass and treble to max is where the Corvette revs its engine. There is no sacrifice in mids, and more importantly, no spikes in volume. The bass is naturally easy going, but with a ferocious kick that I love.

Stingray did not lose today. It posed a singular tone from boosted treble that the Warwicks were not equipped to actually achieve. Running flat however? It's a wash, the Warwicks could completely imitate that tone (and achieve different tones of their own). If you really just want that one tone out of a Stingray, then by all means, that's what you need. But, allow me to be the Devil's Advocate.

BrentSimons and Dr. Cheese like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You needed a video like this:

3. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Bowmanstown
    This video was what prompted me to do this in the first place. However- without things like Direct linking, and good quality recording equipment, making a video recording seemed a bit out of the question. lol

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I make a lot of low fidelity iPad and iPhone videos, so I guess I just go for it!:smug:

Delsan likes this.
  5. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Bowmanstown
    Let's see em!

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is one of my Fernandes Atlas 4x, a passive Stingray copy.

7. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Bowmanstown
    The case falling into the camera made it.

But no, real, sweet deal man. I'm actually impressed by Apple's recording capacity.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The key for decent quality is to turn down the volume on the iPhone or iPad to avoid distortion.

9. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Bowmanstown
    Well, my recordings didn't come with video, but like I said, they came out real nice. No distortion or anything.

Dr. Cheese likes this.