bass shredding

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by prof_nutbutter, Jan 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prof_nutbutter

Jan 6, 2004
    does anybody know what bass shredding is?

just heard it....dunno really....

2. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    it's all about destroying a bass!

nah, not really...

It's slang for playing bass really fast, just shredding notes all over. Most often shredding implies quantity but not quality IMO :rolleyes:
  3. Interesting that you say that and have shawn lane and symphony X in your sig! In my experience it usually doesn't mean a lack of quality. "that guy shreds" is usually taken as a compliment from what I've seen.
  4. funkyfraz

Dec 14, 2003
    if u want bass shreddin....get any mr big stuff or billy sheehan...he'l show u a few shredding maneuvres! ;-)
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    seriously, Billy sheehan is like shred miazaki
  6. Billy is cool but I have never heard him solo in a song just heard some live improvised solos.

Does any of you guys know some cool songs to listen to for som great shredding by billy or the guy from symphony x, or perhaps you know some other cool bassshredding songs by some great player.
  7. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    john aldrete from racer x is a killer bass shredder.

Kyle Honea has a bass solo album out that is pretty much over the top bass shredding with tapped arpeggios and sweeps and stuff. Randy Coven and Scott Hubbell are ridiculously good as well. Coven played with Yngwie Malmsteen's band for awhile and now has a solo album out called "Witchway"
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Shredding is a style of playing invented by guitarists where you play a bunch of notes really really fast and don't really care what they are.

The reason shred is useds as a compliment is non musicians and guitarists alike think shredding is da bomb.
  9. Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    It is funny to see how shredding is over- and underrated at the same time.
    I think that if a person has to shred it has to be done properly. Then it will sound enjoyable.
    That also sounds stupid if a band tries to build a cool song and the songs only purpose is to contain as much shred as possible.

Most shredders DO care about the notes they play, look at Michael Angelo for example he never plays a single note wrong or out of key.

Could it be that most of those who whine about shredding cant shred? I think you shouldn´t approach any kind of music narrow mindedly it´s just music.

I think shredding is pretty cool.

P.S. That Kyle Honea guy was excellent!
  10. Along with a few baffoons that like to show off every chance they get and leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth I think you hit the nail on the head. The great majority of people who can play super fast don't do it everytime they get a chance. Like anything else, it should be a vehicle for what you hear in your head. And remember, shredding isn't all about distorted guitars ripping off romantic composers. Listen to Coltrane solo on 'countdown'.
  11. Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    That´s just the narrow minded approach, if you don´t like it don´t listen to it. Simple?
    I think that if somebody approaches music from a shreddy angle they have the complete right to do so. I admire them for their work they have done practising so that they could express theirselves musically.
    I´m sick of all those "rock-cops" who are always telling how it should be done. So what if somebody shreds it is only music.

Yeah and you dont need a distorted guitar to shred. Jeff Berlin shreds, Jaco shreds, Jack DeJohnette shreds for example, and shredding is a very old phenomenom, don´t forget that.
  12. funkyfraz

Dec 14, 2003
    bascially get any live Mr big tunes, billy will rip into them, shreddtastic! or "shy boy" in the dave lee roth band -its not just shredding, its just full of cool licks and techniques

the dude from racer x - get the tune scarified

john myung from dream theater can play fast but isnt really a shredder -although in my opinoin he's the best player out there

also ron thal the guitarist is also a ****in great bass player!

also check out guthrie govans brother! cant mind hs name!
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Shredding, despite my previous post, isn't a terrible thing. But I've delt with numerous guitarists who have nothing else. There needs to be a dynamic, contrast. For every 32th note you play at 280 bpm you should be able to play a whole note at 60 bpm. For every melodyless solo you shred your way through, you should play a slow simple melodic solo that tells a story in a musical sense.

I use to hate solos all together. Victor Wooten was getting all sorts of recognition because of his ability to double thump his ass off and that's all I heard. Listen to this way fast shreddy bass playing... ooh. I wasn't impressed.

Well that's a bit harsh. I was impressed. "This guy's a technical whiz." I though, but I saw nothing more. Then I heard him lay down some funky ass grooves. And some of the simplest playing come out of those hands. It was Sunset Road by Bela Fleck and The Flecktones that made me decide Victor Wooten is fantastic. Give it a listen. If he would have played one more single note in the entire song, it would have ruined it. I heard quotes from him saying his main goal is to make the music groove and I though that was complete bull****. You do not need double thumping to make music groove, there is no arguing that. But that man can groove.

A dynamic, contrast, it's nessicary.
  14. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    IMO both of those examples are not part of the majority of nowadays "shredders".

Shawn Lane was a great guitarrist, whose speed never got in the way of great (jazzistic) phrasing and general geniality (IMO) :)

As for Symphony X, any of it's members can be *really* fast but still playing great stuff behind that speed.
    I for one absolutely loved former SX's bassist Thomas Miller bass playing, his technique... and his sound?... awwww :smug:

As for nowadays shred-frenzy... well... I could be here forever naming shredders that basically only play fast stuff, but when you get to decode it... :spit:
  15. SyntaxError

Sep 24, 2003
    Listen to "The Dance of Eternity" Myung shows off his shredding skills, quite impressive. Like you said though, he isn't really a shredder, but he can shred. I like the solo he plays in his video, I think the solo's called "freeport jam" some very fast parts, but very tasteful.
  16. bassplyr8145

Jan 14, 2004
    the biggest shredder of them all is les calypool all he does is smack his bass in different ways to get different sounds o[ut of it, a shredder is someone "as a bassist" who often goes outside just laying down a groove and tends to put a fill in every verse or so.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    First of all, do people really think his name is calypool? I mean honestly, because I've seen this typo very very often on here.

Second, I argue Claypool as a shredder. He mostly sticks to his really out there main riffs and doesn't fill nearly as much as you implied.
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'd say that at least 75% of all bassists do this; I wouldn't describe it as "shredding" at all. I also wouldn't say Les Claypool is a shredder in the least. He rarely takes leads, and they aren't usually very good when he does-his strength is as a groove and rhythm player. I think of some of Billy Sheehan's solos as good examples of bass shredding.
  19. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    When I saw this thread, the first bassist I thought of was Entwistle. I've seen some video clips of him performing what I felt was some "world class" shredding, both with The Who and also with his JEB band. Does anyone else agree, or am I dreaming? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.