Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass signal competing with phantom powered signals?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Jun 30, 2004.

1. I have played two different basses equipped with bartolini soapbar pickups and active/passive onboard preamp. In certain situations with the bass connected to a PA system it seems that the signal from the bass "fights" to stay alive--If I play hard and maintain a very strong signal, it gets through. If I play lightly, the signal can get choked out altogether, as if I were playing through a noise gate. In one situation I was touring with a 4 piece band with a mandolin player with everybody going through a PA. When the mando player had his instrument plugged into his outboard preamp and into the PA, the signal loss problem occoured, but not always. In another situaiton I plugged the bass into a mixing console with phantom power and experienced the same problem, but when I plugged into a grace 201 preamp first then into the mixer, problem solved. The signal cut out happened whether or not the onboard preamp was on. What gives??? Help me out techies.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Use a DI box, basses were never designed to be plugged directly into mixing boards. There are a large number of DI's designed to be transparent, and only boost the signal.

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Yup, a DI box, it has to do with the output impedance of the bass and the input impedance of the mixer I believe.