1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Signal split

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 21, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I have 2 identical GK Rigs, can I send my bass signal to both amps, if yes how, what do I need to do it. Does it make any sense to do this?

2. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Why not? One for each side of the stage! That'd be cool.
    Not sure how to split your signal...line out from one to the input of the other? Or just get a mono Y plug from radio shack or something.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    1 right sized amp is probably the better approach... If you have to do this, using an active, bufferred splitter is robably a better approach... Personally - I think two amps = too much hassle for not emo9ugh benefit...

4. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    I'm looking at doing something simmilar. I'd guess you may need a pre-amp before you split the signal, as it may halve it's effectiveness (volume, impedance, other stuff...)

My plan is to then have a volume pedal modded to do left and right and then wah between left and right...

I'm sure some of the technical guys might have more of an input, but i do think you'll have some issues...

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I got the idea from Tal, I saw her Satuday Night with Jeff Beck.It looked like she had 2 EBS rigs.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Lots of options, but one that's alot of fun is, get a stereo effects pedal, like a delay or chorus, run your bass to the pedal, and each of the two outs to each amp. The effect sounds great in stereo. Also, a simple AB/Y splitter will work, or you can run one amp off the other, (slave), run a cord from one amps preamp out, to the others poweramp in.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You can do this through your aux send and returns of the amp so you only use one EQ section/preamp setting to affect both rigs. Just set the woofer and tweeter volumes to the volume you want the actual cab to be. The send basically grabs the signal just before the amp input stage of rig 1, sends it to the input of the other rig, then back through the return and jumps right back into the chain where it left. You only need 2 instrument cables to do this because the effect sends aren't balanced that I know of.
    This would seem to have better control than a DI splitter feeding both cabs. If I ever find another GK1001RB 210, I would like to do this same thing.

8. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
  9. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    just splitting the signal will halve the amperage and double the impedance. Get an active splitter or DI