Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Size Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pinballwizard, Aug 2, 2004.

1. pinballwizard

pinballwizard

Aug 2, 2004
    Hey. I'm 13 and Ive been playing bass for a few months now. I have a Fender P Bass and it is almost impossible for me to reach notes I need to hit near the top of the neck, so I am looking into smaller scale basses. What is the standard size of a bass and what is a smaller size (in inches).
    thanks

2. Your Fender has a nominal 34" scale (the measurement from the nut to where the string hits the saddle). A short scale, like a Gibson or Epiphone EB-0 has a nominal 30" scale. I hope this helps.

3. pinballwizard

pinballwizard

Aug 2, 2004
    yeah. thanks much.

4. How about a Fender MusicMaster or Mustang bass?

Them's short scale.

How about a Danelectro Longhorn?

there are tons out there. even a Kubicki is 32" scale, and the "reach" isn't horrible.

READ custom basses makes a very nice short scale.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

keep the fender you have now until you get older. while your still too small, use a smaller bass.

6. "I would get the V personally. I like angular basses."

Yeah, as long as you don't ever play it sitting down!

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Hmm, I dont really think it's worth getting a short scale bass. I started out on a Precision Bass back when I was the same age as you (although it had the narrower J Bass neck) If I were you I'd just get a new 34" scale bass.

But hey, it's up to you. Just tryin to throw another opinion into the mix.

8. That would be my "bass to stand up with and pretend to be in a hair metal band".

I'm more of an Explorer person. I just like the V out of all five choices.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Epiphone= poopsvah. I had an EB0 and it was the worst bass... ever.

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I would recommend an Ibanez.. I'm not sure exactly what scale it is, but most Soundgears have a smaller fret spacing and a thin neck..

11. Smaller fret spacing?

No, smaller body.

hangs different. Still 34" scale.

12. pinballwizard

pinballwizard

Aug 2, 2004
    I like the mustang a lot but I'll have to check the other ones. Daisy rock makes flower and heart shapes too, right? Ha ha. Sweet. Thanks everyone.

13. I didn't say they were any good, I said they were short scale. My '69 Gibson EB-0 was the worst bass I ever owned (except for my first bass).

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Fury's are 31.640. See sig.

15. you don't play with the thumb wrapped aroud the top of the neck don't you ,because if you do that might explain why you have difficulties

16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Actually, soundgears aren't 34" scale. The spacing between each fret is smaller than a normal 34 scale bass, but it has the same length neck as a 34 scale 20-21 fret bass, except it has 24. I can't be sure of the exact size, but it's much smaller.

17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA

Im pretty sure that would be impossible. According to Ibanez, their Soundgear basses are 34" scale. If you have a 34" scale instrument with smaller fret spacing, that would mean the intonation of the frets is wrong. This might be the wrong terminology but you get the point.

quallabone, your avatar rules

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's not the neck length itself, but the bridge. the bridge is actually closer than normal (they have a smaller body too) to the nut..

19. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Yeah but...

Scale length is the measurment from the nut to the bridge. If the bridge is closer, then the scale length is shorter. On the Ibanez site it says their Soundgears are 34" scale.

Either way, Soundgear basses are still very easy for people with small hands to play.