Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass slap video on Google...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Growler, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
  2. That's one of Stu Hamm's best, blew me away too.

3. Kosta

Kosta

Mar 22, 2005
    So, that's Stu Hamm huh...

damn.

4. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I don't get sound on the video. :(

However, that is a great christian band. They're great guys to talk to as well. I guess you can see their website in my sig.

5. Pretty good! Sounds like the same chord pattern as Bela Fleck & the Flecktones' "Sinister Minister", towards the end at least.

6. You stole the words out of my mouth.

I dunno. It's cool stuff he's playing, but not really that unordinary. Just open hammer pluck type stuff. All slap and pop, perpendicular thumb. I'm a more Victor Wooten kind of guy. I've been spoiled by slap bassists like Victor, Marcus, Mark King, Alain Caron, Wojtek Pilichowski, etc. :)

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good to see his peavey cirrus is getting used... his blend knob is missing.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I thought it was lame - but Stu's is amazing!

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I thought the first video was rather -normal-. Didn't really impress me that much.

10. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Wow Stu Hamm blows me away. It's bassists like that that inspire me to try harder and keep practicin

11. The first video was a bad rendering of "Minister". Not impressive. Stu is great. If you haven't heard him do Debussy's "Dr. Gradus Ad Parnassum" on his Radio Free Albemuth album, you should do yourself a favor and check it out. He also does Moonlight Sonata and Prelude in G for all of you classical-to-bass lovers.

12. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Stu hamm, rules, love his original playing style.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+1

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    First guy sounds like a music store wanker. He's getting the notes out, but the groove's nonexistent.

Hamm, by contrast, has a great internal sense of rhythm.

15. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    The first video had no feel to it, it was as though he had prepared it over and over and was playing it stock.

The second one of stu Hamm (1st thing I've ever seen/heard by him ever) really impressed me, particularly the first 2/3 minutes.

Was it just me? or were there people booing in between sections? (god knows why?!?!) maybe they wanted more Satch solos?

this all makes me more curious about stu hamm now....

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I didn't hear a boo at all. That is some awesome playing. That is where I want to be.

I heard some WOO, with a really low voice.

17. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    im pretty sure theyre saying "stuuu" or something like that.

18. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    I think they were yelling, "Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" ....not "Booooooooooooooo"