Bass slapping basics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by probuddha, Jun 2, 2005.

1. probuddha

May 23, 2005
    Hey guys...!!! I am totally a newbie at playing bass. I want to learn the basics of slapping the bass. Can anybody please help me with this..??? :bassist:
  2. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Run a search for slap bass basics and you'll have more info than you ever need. For starters, work on getting good tone when using your thumb. Nothing sounds worse than bad slap tone. Just slap scales all the way up and down the neck, focusing on tone. After you've done that, move up to throwing in some plucking on the d and g strings. Use them as accents first, then play notes. Where you go from there is totally up to you.

greets from Colorado

Oog :cool:
  3. probuddha

May 23, 2005
    Thanks a lot buddy. I have tried slapping the bass but don't really get the tone I am looking for or atleast like I have heard many bassists play. Also one thing I need to know that for getting that perfect tone do I need to plug in my bass in a bass amp. I play it on my Cube 40. Can you suggest me a site where I will get to know all the basics of it...??Thanks again
  4. Excellent advice... and stay out of the key of 'E', or you will get stuck depending on the open string.
  5. Probuddha, you may want to take your bass to a shop and find a more experienced bassist to take a look at your bass, hopefully a tech from the store. I know that for a long time my slap sounded terrible, but that was due to a bad setup and not exactly top of the line materials. Got a new bass and everything is peachy.
  6. probuddha

May 23, 2005
    Thanks a lot friend. Also I want to know that is a Bass amp an absolute necessity for playing bass or can I play it on my cube 40..??? Please let me know. :help:

Thanks again...... :)