Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass slides while standing.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Ok I am learning to play a little better with the bass hung low on pick style. However when i am making note changes my hand sometimes slides the bass with it a little bit. It is hard for me to be acurate and fast on note changes when the bass is flying around... How can I fix this, and how much does the fact that it is only a 7 pound bass play into this?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, playing low can cause this; look at the physics behind it, when you slide, your arm becomes a lever, applying a torque to the neck which translates as horizontal motion. To fix that, you need to loosen your grip on the neck whilest sliding, OR hold the bass from sliding when you're doing it.
    EASIEST rememdy is to not play so low.

Ray

3. It's a grip issue in your right and left hands, in my opinion. Loosen grip on your left hand and try to keep the bass stable with your right.

4. Ideally you shouldn't be holding the neck of the bass with your fretting hand, or else you could end up with some nasty injuries.

The bass, if properly weighted, should steadily stay in playing position, and you shouldn't have to hold it up with either of your arms.

5. Most importantly...do you have to play so low? IME it is not worth the coolness factor to sacrifice the technique. I can be far more efficient in my playing with the bass at a comfortable level (i.e. around where it is when it is on your knee while sitting). I guess this isn't what you asked though...if you have to play with your bass low, I'd just do my best to loosen up on your left hand grip a little bit, like ^he^ said.

6. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean, but if the bass isn't staying put because the strap is slipping on your shoulder when you do this, maybe you could try a "grippier" strap, like leather or something?

7. geoff's right, you shouldn't have to support the neck when you shift. it sounds like maybe you have a neck dive issue?

8. I find that position very uncomfortable for my right hand(and arm as well). Wearing my bass at around crotch level is much more comfortable for me.

9. http://www.mirrorimage.com/air/page05.html

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses