1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass solo at gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ARCtrooper225, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Hey, my band is doing it's first gig soon. The lead guitarist said I could do a bass solo during our set. I'm not that good at improvising, so I'm gonna try to plan it out (the gig is on the 28th). I'm thinking of doing in either Aeolian or Locrian in the key of D and with Drop-D tuning. I also like to play in different registers/octaves. I'm also planning on finishing it and going straight into the intro of Slither by VR. I have no experience with writing solos so can anyone help me out. My theory isn't up to par, but I know the basic modes, etc. Thanks guys

2. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey

Jul 27, 2005
    Sing an idea - find it on the bass - react to that idea with another line etc. etc.- think of your audience and tell them a story - use different octaves, dynamics and keep it short, record it and see if you bore yourself, take your time at developing a thought- you will rock. Since both aeolian and locrian are essentially minor sounding use them both!

3. Aeolian is your basic harmonic minor scale of the relative major key, so would probably best suit the solo you are trying to write. There are 2 types of minor, harmonic and melodic, so bear that in mind. Obviously if the tune isnt in a minor key, then using the Aeolian mode means you are essentially playing in the sixth position of the key. In Locrian mode you will be introducing a diminshed 5th, minor 6th and major 7th if rooted in D. If you don't know how to improvise (or have little experience of doing so), you my find yourself struggling with that mode. Even hard core jazzers find Locrian a hard mode to master as it wants to pull you harmonically into different keys.

I would say the key to success is simplicity. I would stick to the Aeolian or Dorian for now (if in minor), maybe introducing a dimished 5th for tension and release. Maybe also concentrate on an effect too, something like an octaver or wha might help form your solo and make it more interesting to play.

Remember, as much as you might want to impress even with this solo, you can't run before you can walk - and as frustrating as that is, concentrating on what matters will make you a better improvisor in the long run.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021