bass solo design

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by patrickroberts, Sep 17, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    me and my band have been together for about 3-4 months, we have; a name, a direction and have even started writing some songs. I would like to start implementing some bass solos into the song, how would i go about desiging a bass solo?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I would try to go at it from several different angles.
    Try as many ideas you can think of - either by by playing some spontaneous ideas or by composing the solo like an integral part of the song. Test them with the song and try to find out if it fits the music and the mood of the sound...
    A good solo should a well-balanced structure with a beginning, middle and end (stating the obvious, here ?!?:D) and should 'breathe' like a vocal part. Try to utilize dynamics. And rests than have as much (or more) impact as a flurry of notes.
    Try to attune yourself to the song to solo over it - let the solo blend into the song...good solos do that and enhance it at the same time...
    When a song falls apart when played without the solo - that would be the ideal solo for that particular song...

I hope this makes any sense at all...:)
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Great question. Although I cannot disagree with JMX's post. I would prioritize things a bit differently. Learn to play the melody of the song. A good solo is based on the melody. Have a good knowledge of the chords and modes of the harmony. Try to create nice linear lines that interconnect the harmonic strong points. Develop solos with. Let your solos build. Don't "blow your wad" right off. Hope this helps.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I wish I could've said it that clearly :)

5. Don't "blow your wad" right off.

didn't charles mingus say that
    i think he did