1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass solo......fingerstyle vs. slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jeffbassguy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jeffbassguy

jeffbassguy "Less is more, unless the guitarist sucks"

Feb 4, 2001
    connecticut
    What's the deal with bass players constantly feeling the need to slap and pluck every time they get a solo. It seems like such the norm these days and with the majority of them, it doesn't seem very musical, more like how fast can i up down pluck pluck in a 4/4 beat. Don't get me wrong, i love a good slap solo from time to time, but personally it is so much more melodic to play fingerstyle. Just an opinion....tell me what you think.

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    It depends.

I enjoy listening to both when played tastefully.

3. Shhh... don't tell anyone and just keep being different.

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i personally prefer finger style, but then u can't beat the coffe shop wah solo thats all slapped

5. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    It all depends on the context of your solo. You gotta play what's tasteful within the music that's being played behind your solo. Why not mix it up and throw in some slap and pops along with your fingerstyle? Wooten does it all the time.

6. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    +1. My thoughts exactly.

7. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia

Well hang on there. It depends on what you mean by feeling. There is playing that is chock full of pathos, and then there is highly technical playing that doesn't have pathos, but does have a kind of meditative flair. I don't think one is inherently superior to the other. This is why your typical classical concerto has multiple movements--One movement is meant to convey expressiveness, while another is meant to demonstrate technical prowess. The guy in the video looks like he enjoys playing it. I enjoyed hearing it. What's the problem?

8. whatever floats your boat i guess, for me it was just kinda empty, it didnt really flow, for lack of a better word.
    thats why i like wooten i guess, hes funky and a good musician, but also a good bassist.

but i still prefer pathos over the warwick video:D :bag: ;)

9. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    That's ok. The kid looks pretty young, so I am willing to cut him some slack. Almost everyone this age goes for the pyrotechnics. ;)

10. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    It depends.
    If i would like the 'non-musical' people in the audience to go "WOW!" i would slap the crap out of my bass.
    But! If i would like the musical people to go "Omg, Jaco #2!" i do some cool stuff with my fingers.

11. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    It seems to be the guys who get that one big bass solo towards the end who want to do that, especially in a fusion setting. Oh well, you don't seem to want to do that, so thats that.

12. lord_mezry

lord_mezry

Apr 12, 2007
    Nice suggestions guys but i prefer fingerstyle cause my slaps suck
    i find slapping easy enough but i like the fingerstyle

13. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Another poster talked about how he would be at a bar:

Drunken Bar Patron: "Play Seinfeld!"

Me: [randomly slaps a bunch of notes]

Drunken Bar Patron: "Yeaaah!"

:D

14. Oratorio

Oratorio

May 9, 2007
    Norway
    LOL!! I actually have done the exact same thing a couple of times! Always awesome. :D

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I don't. I rarely get an opportunity but when I do, I don't deviate from my normal techniques.

I just think it's an easy way to get an instant distinctive sound whereas a guitarist might step on a wah or boost pedal. To each his own.

16. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    +1:)

17. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    Slapping has it's time and place. There are certain times when it just doesn't work. After many months of trying to make it work on a certain song, I asked myself "Does the song really call for slap?" I realized I was placing emphasis on the technique, not on the music.

18. Monkey

Monkey

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I must start by saying that slap is neither a strength of mine, nor a goal I strive for....

I have certain strengths as a musician, and I have always tried to develop a distinctive sound. Tons of players slap in solos, so my instinctive reaction is to NOT slap as a way to be distinctive. I only play fretless, as well, so that makes a difference. My strength is playing melodically, so I figure I can be one of thousands that slap, or I can leverage what I do better by nature anyway and play finger-style melodic solos. My solos are not as pyrotechnic, but if I can touch the audience in a musical way, that is good enough for me.

To me, the world is not in need of one more mediocre slap player.....

19. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Come on now who doesn't like blowing things up?