1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass solo gigs...y r they hard to get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alexis=bassist, Sep 22, 2008.

1. alexis=bassist

alexis=bassist

Sep 4, 2008
    I have been tryin to get a gig in Dallas,TX,but since I am a solo artist,no one will give me a chance.I am only 17 and only have 3 years experience(about to be 3 years),but...well I dont like to say how good I am...I dont like to brag or anythin cuz people dont respect that.:rollno:

Anywayz...

Wut I wuz thinkin is that I could have my friend play tha drums behind me durin some of my songs.

When Im on stage,I dont thay tha bass...I just play.

I think people dont give bass players a chance.

or myabe its my age,but ima bout to be 18.

I would play for free!I just love playin!

I play at an open mic every 1st wednesday of tha month.

But i want to have a full show!

Thats it:)

-peace:smug:

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Solo bass stuff has its place - in the bedroom. The audience for that type of material is ridiculously small. Even Wooten has a band behind him for the majority of his material, eh?

Not trying to knock your choice in music. But you've gotta realize a top 40's cover band is going to get way more work than a solo artist without a backing band. It doesn't help that people have a lot of trouble thinking of bass as a melodic instrument.

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    You should probably scrap together some similar artists, whether they're solo or in bands and get a showcase together yourself. It might not be at the venue of your choice, but at least it'll be something to get your started and get your name out there! Also, helps to at least have a drummer backing you...then it seems more legit.

Good luck!

4. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    To be honest, if you started playing the bass with the ultimate goal being solo performances...you picked the wrong instrument...no offense. I saw a video of a victor master class (actually he said this at a master class i attended as well), he asked the audience (all bass players presumably) What is the role of a bass player? some answers were: to keep time, outline harmony, support the groove, etc. So he asked a follow up question: If that's the case why do you all spend SO much time practicing soloing? Needless to say people were stumped...

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    You have to make it interesting for an audience. Even being a bass player, the thought of a set with one guy playing solo instrumental bass doesn't sound very entertaining. It doesn't matter to a venue how good you are, or whether you'll play for free - it's about drawing an audience.

(Tip: Make an effort to write properly. You'll get a lot more respect around here, and when you're trying to get a gig for yourself.)

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Frankly, not many people want to hear a bass solo.

And no offense, but I think your age is working against you. Many clubs and promoters don't want to book someone so young -- no matter what their talent -- because they think you can't possibly be any good. You could be the next Jaco, but they think if you're not seasoned you're not good enough.

7. +1 on the professional typing. If someone asked me for a gig like that, I probably wouldn't take them seriously.

Even though the thought of bass solos aren't the most popular, not many people are terribly willing to sit through any given solo instrument for an entire set, guitar, violin, etc. The audience needs something that gets their toe tapping. If it's all lead, there's no rhythm beneath it. Either get a band together to back ya and/or learn how to play rhythm and lead.

Also, the great soloists took many years to be recognized. Three years is just starting out.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Moved To Misc.

9. +2 I still haven't taken the time to figure out what it was you were asking. :meh:

10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I,ve been playin bass for forty years and the last thing I would pay to see is someone wankin away on an electric bass solo,(as in singular) I dont care who it is or how many strings its got its just not that interesting. The only exception would be a really great upright player like a stanley clark or someone of that calliber. (Disclaimer-just one guys opinion)

11. So no one really knows what solo bass means?

Its about as much wanking as Michael Hedges (a very respected solo mostly instrumental musician).
    Its not thudding out eighth notes like you do in your classic rock cover band, its not slapping and popping for half an hour on stage (I sure hope it isnt either of these). Its melodic music that just happens to be played on a bass.

People need to start thinking of bass guitar as a medium, not a role.

Please everyone give Steve Lawson or Michael Manring a listen to, hell, even swing by their forum on THIS VERY WEBSITE. And if you like them but just think they are too talented then maybe give my stuff a listen to aswell.