Bass solo on Havona

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by WillBuckingham, Nov 3, 2005.

1. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I've been working on the bass solo on Havona (track 8 on Weather Report's Heavy Weather). This is my first attempt at learning a bass solo, and I was wondering if anyone knows of or has a tab or some kind of description of some of Jaco's fingerings. I have a pretty good transcription of the solo, but no fingering suggestions.

p.s. This is my absolute favorite example of Jaco's playing (not just the solo, but the whole piece).
  2. Awesome song.
    And...I don't know how much experience you have, or how good you are or anything...but from what you said: "This is my first attempt at learning a bass solo"...maybe you should start on something a little easier? Or maybe not. I don't know what you are capable of, just seems like a hell of a song to start with.
    My first Jaco solo was Teen Town. Still somewhat hard, but tons of fun to play.
  3. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I've done some Charlie Parker solos that I arranged for bass, and plenty of bass lines and stuff, but this is the first time I've played something on bass that was originally on bass where the music is demanding enough that knowing the correct fingerings seems like it would be really helpful in learning it.

Thanks for the link, EADG Mix, but I don't know how to open the file that it takes me to. I'm no good with computers.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Good luck dude! Sounds great. Dig Christian McBride doing the same solo on DB :eek:.
  5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
  6. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I've heard about Christian McBride doing it. Is that on "Sci-Fi"?

I think that I don't have a program that extracts these zipped files. My computer is very old. Do you know where I can get a free program for this?