Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass solo to "Tush"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by johnvice, Apr 19, 2005.

1. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    My band has decided to use "Tush" (by Z.Z. Top) to intro the band where everyone does a one chorus solo. Each chorus is standard 12-bar blues in G (G-4bars | C-2bars | G-2bars | D-1bar | C-1 bar |G-1 bar |D-1 bar) in an uptemo (144 b.p.m.) in a shuffle beat.

It might be a fun exercise for anyone inetersted to create your own solo to this and have a comparision and discusion.

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Sounds like a good idea. I love ZZ topp's early stuff.

3. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Might sound cool to use a walking bass line and go from the G to the C to an octave up G to D and back down. Give it a very Tommy Shannon during the guitar solo of "Pride and Joy" feel. That way you don't stray too far from the blues feel of the song, but it implies a jazz swing that grooves the song during your 12 bars.

Would be great to introduce each member "John Vice on bass, everybody, give it up for John..." while you're moving through the first bar.

Let us know how it works out. I might give that a try next rehearsal.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmmm....I get stuck playing that song almost every night.

I'm not all that sure I'd get all that psyched about having to solo over that pocket.

Certainly it would be one of those situations where I wouldn't want the rest of the band to stop and leave me hanging. I'd be a chore to maintain that pocket AND play around with it.

Yeah, the more I think about it, I'd definatly want the band to back the solo so I could play around with the phrasing a little...you could work it pretty hard in that context.

But then, I'm getting about sick and tired of getting left hanging when someone yells, "Bass Solo!"