Bass solos in songs..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassmusic808, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Always play it the same

4 vote(s)
  2. Mostly the same

19 vote(s)
  3. Completely different each time

11 vote(s)
  1. I was wondering how the rest of you out there viewed handling a bass solo in a song you currently play. Do you keep it the same each time you play it or do you play it completely different each time? Of course, this is excluding jazz/blues solos which may be very long.

I know for me, I used to play it different each time. Lately however, I have started to actually work out something melodically before hand and stick to it.

2. I try to stick with what I've written, but sometimes I feel like embellishing the solo a little, or a lot.

If it is a cover, I'll stick to the solo, like NIB
  3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Most of the time, it tends to be little song specific riffs I wrote that I string together with embellishments. This is a pretty crappy way to go, because after I finish the song, I always remember something I wanted to play during the solo, but forgot. D'OH!
    Oh, so I picked different every time. Tends to be pretty stream-of-consiousness.
  4. My band plays "Fire" by Jimi Hendrix and the drummer takes an awesome solo. This gives me a chance to swap from my TRBJP to my Attitude 4-string and I take the helm and whip out a solo. Little stuff here, little there, my cool Classical medley (like 3-4 mins long....), back to some loud action, and I count off to get back in the song. Works out well and the crowd digs it.

Then, when the guitarist breaks a string, it's me and the drummer playing grooves...Usually some Primus stuff or Rush tunes to pass the time....
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    usually i try to capture the flavor of what i recorded, but i don't really replay it note for note.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Totally depends. Sometimes, exactly (or as close as possible) as recorded, while other times, I've noticed I "develop" the solo over time. Sometimes it just ends up getting changed.

I once had a quick riff in a song recorded that I couldn't duplicate to save my life. And, the worst part was that I remembered doing it and pretty much how I did it. The thing was, I was recording a song in the studio with my old band and had borrowed a bass. In the middle of this mini-solo, my hand slipped off the neck!:eek: Well, after several listen-backs, I decided that it worked, for some, we kept it. I never could duplicate it again.:(
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I know how you feel, RAM. When I was joining my current #1 band, I sat in on a few songs on one of their last gigs with the departing bass player. Before that set, my brother (the guitarist... nepotism rules!) asked me to do "Will It Go Round In Circles" by Billy Preston: he quickly ran down the changes and breaks and said "just listen, you'll be fine".

I was a little nervous, but just riffed my way through. Later, listening back to the tape, I was amazed at some of the stuff I did during the I-IV vamp at the end... sounded like someone else getting funky! I tried to steal some of my own licks but I kept forgetting them and then the tape got eaten by my cheesy tapedeck.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As for the topic: I'm not much of a soloist. There are a couple very short ones where I'm happy with the hook so I play it note for note every night. On my extended solos I just vamp, but unless I'm inspired I just pull from my riff bag.

I do have a few standard riffs which signal the end of my wanking, such as Jungle Boogie and Sailor's Hornpipe.

Did I mention that I'm not much of a soloist?
  9. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    improvised every time. always got something new to say, and what better place to say it than when the bass pops up to talk frankly and in public?
  10. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    anything more that 4 bars of bass solo is overkill.
  11. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    word to tha funk
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes. I like blanket statements that are to speak to all of music. Bravo. How long did it take you to come up with that one?