1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass solos

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by jtlownds, Dec 7, 2006.

1. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    Last week I was playing with a dixieland group. The leader called an uptempo "Sweet Georgia Brown" in Ab. I usually play this number in F, but I can handle the bassline in Ab. Halfway thru the tune, he points to me to solo, oh sh*t! Well, I pulled it off pretty well, I thought, and by the end of the tune, I was feeling pretty good about my performance. Then the piano player leaned over and said, "Bass solos are like premature ejaculation - you know it's coming and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

2. rprowse

rprowse

Dec 17, 2005
    Wellington NZ
    This problem really seems to upset my wife.
    No, I'm talking about when someone throws me a solo out of the blue. It only seems to happen on fast tempos when I'm playing a tune in a key I haven't practised.
    You can bet that they never seem to need me on a medium tempo Autumn Leaves.

3. Bflat1

Bflat1

Jan 3, 2007
    Dallas
    I'm more of a trumpet player than a bass player, so my pet peeve is that everything is in sharp keys. I told the guys the other night that there were keys with flats in them. I don't think anyone got it. Night Train in A!