Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Solos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by minusjeremy, Aug 30, 2002.

1. What are some good Solos to check out that aren't just an attempt to show off but actually good solos cause I need something other than just basic bass lines to play when I'm not playing with the band plus I hope it will help my song writing too

2. this has nothing to do with effects and why would you want to play someone elses solo anyway??????

3. off to recordings

4. YouTouchMyBoat

YouTouchMyBoat

Jul 31, 2002
    MA
    while were on the subject of solos, if anybody has the intro to N.I.B. by Black SAbbath or knows where to find it PLLLEEEAAASSEEE e- mail me
    alessersatan@aol.com

5. i know where to find it!
    its on black sabbaths first album... try track 4

6. Agh...

Right now the only solos I could think of at this time would be Graham Maby's on Joe Jackson's "You Can't Get What You Want", Geddy Lee on "Show Don't Tell", and the occasional Peter Hook dabbling on the higher notes on some New Order tunes.

Other than that jazz IS the place for bass solos. I watched Richard Bona (not really jazz but...) in concert and he could do solos but yet not show off. He's all about the music.

Good luck and let your imagination loose...

7. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Learn the solos in "My Generation" by The Who.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This won't help you at all, but some of the very best bass solos I have heard have been at live concerts. I especially remember Oteil Burbridge at an Allman Brothers concert, Santana's bassist at one of his concerts, and the deceased Bobby Sheehan of Blues Traveler at one of their summer tours several years ago. Kim Stone played a killer solo at a Rippingtons concert. Leon Wilkenson played an interesting solo at a Lynard Skynnard concert I saw. I guess I could go on and on.

Maybe one idea would be to check out some live recordings of concerts, such as Rush, Yes, The Who or other bands known for their bass players. They often get a chance to take a solo during live presentations, while they may seldom get that chance on a studio recording.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Victor Wootens "A Show of Hands" CD is one long, badass bass solo. That'll keep you busy for years if not the rest of your life!

brad cook

10. I think in order to be able to create/improvise and play solos of your own, you have to start by learning other people's solos. And not just bass solos. If you really want to learn how to solo, you should try to emulate guitar, horn, and piano players. Even drummers. Sometimes (or a lot of the time) you take from others and make it your own. Even when it comes to learning how to groove and come up with basslines, I think we all listened and "stole" from others. The art of soloing requires lots of listening and emulation, just like the "art" of speaking a language.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - I picked up an interesting book "Portait of Jaco" which analyses a number of Jaco Pastorius's bass solos and I think these do repay careful study as each has interesting ideas.

If you understand what Jaco is doing in each case this not only gives you a better understaning of music as whole, it can help you develop your own ideas based on these concepts. Each generation builds on what has gone before and nobody works in a vacuum - those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it! ;)

12. ritalin kid

ritalin kid

Aug 31, 2002
    No. Cal
    A simple not flashy bass solo would be Bill Churches solo on Montroses'/Hagar "Bad Motor Scooter" but it has to be the live Hagar version not the earlier Montrose.