Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASS SOLOS!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Anyone know any good songs with bass solos?

relitivly easy ones that sound nice?

thank you!

Note: I am sure,Ima get a few Jason newstead stuff,but thats cool...I respect the man:cool:

-Jon:oops:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I could probably get you the bass solo for "The Ballad of Larry and Cathrine" by Pizzlestains Deluxe. Second easiest bass solo I've ever heard. Next to "Terrier Song" by Kids in The Hall.

3. Love Buzz by Nirvana has a pretty straight forward bass solo in it.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Metallica -Orion
    Rancid -Maxwell Murder
    -Axiom
    Pennywise -City is Burning
    Metallica- Anestisia (sp?) Pulling Teeth
    Metallica- Call of Ktulu

Hmm, we always bag metallica for not having ,much to do with the bass but hey, after writing this list, i stand corrected. :D

When you have those songs downpat, move onto Dream Theatre, Primus and bands suk as that.

5. Kirby -

1. The orion bass solo isn't easy.

The interlude, yes. Solo, no.

2. Eh..lol Anesthesia isn't really that easy either..I mean it's not impossible, but I wouldn't dream of calling it easy.

But hey, if you can hit 16ths at 180, be my guest. ;)

3. There's no bass solo in Ktulu. But the wah and the screaming effects are the bass, but again it's not a solo.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Actually, there is. It's buried "behind" the music -- you have to fiddle with your EQ to get it to stand out, but it's there.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I never noticed the solo either... but I picked up the bass transcriptions series for metallica and saw a bass solo and was shocked... still haven't "heard" it yet. Damn Metallica and their... audible bass hating.

8. they didnt really start doing that until after Cliff. i think they just saw Newstead as the replacement to cliff and nothing more, and didnt think his non-Cliff bass lines deserved to be heard.

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    It was also because pre black album stuff was self produced by Hetfield and Larrs, so naturally they whacked up the drums and guitars. Newsted didn;t get much say in the mixing stage. It was only when Bob Rock took the helm that they completely changed the way they made their records, with less bass frequencies in the guitars and more audible bass.

10. IMNSHO* this thread isn't tab-related.. would fit better in General Instruction..

* waves with his magical moderator-stick *

* (in my not so humble opinion )

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Almost anything by the Oscar Peterson Trio :D

12. Allodox....your avatar is the greatest:p

-Jon:oops:

P.S I wish cliff was still around,but even w/o him...I still love metallica.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Portrait of Tracy."

14. That's what I'm talking about. I have the book. That's the verse riff...Cliff is going off of what the guitars are playing and elaborating, basicly.

The:

D---------5h7-5h7
    A-0-0-0-------------7-6-6-6-6-

part and then:

G-12-14h15-12-15p12-

thing, right? yeah that's what I was talking about :D

It's not a solo.

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    [​IMG]

:D

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, hello, you don't play solos on bass. Call of Ktulu has "Lead bass" (what it says in the credits) and hate gear is right, if you fiddle with your EQ long enough, you can make it out.....barely, but you can. I love his use of a wah in that song. Also, I always thought that the little bass jig in "Between angels and insects" by Papa Roach was a nifty thing to play.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

:rolleyes:

18. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    My Generation by The Who has a perfect fitting little bass bit. Fun Stuff

19. although strangely you can hear Newsted clearly on the recorded-on-a-shoestring-budget $7.98 Garage Days revisited covers EP eg. "The Wait".

then they spent lots on recording "and justice for all"....and seem to have used up the budget before they could record the bass on tracks like "harvester of sorrow".

re. bass solos, Suicidal tendencies "asleep at the wheel",

on some of the live recordings of Metallica's "for whom the bell tolls" Jason Newsted does some noodling around in E before doing the intro riff.

Iron maiden "blood on the world's hands".

20. And so the bass player community takes another hit...honestly who hits a man when he's lying on the ground...

And moley, that is too f'ing funny :D