1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass solos

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by cchorney, Jul 9, 2012.

1. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    [​IMG]

This is true for some the folks I play with. Its been a running gripe with me; they'll toss me a solo, I'll play the solo, after the song ends I'll say "Next time, please don't drop out and leave me with nothing to play against". Then, next time - exact same thing happens.

2. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    Such is our burden as bass players. We either learn to adapt and adjust, deal with the frustration... or choose not to solo at all.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    One could be a legendary bassist, and get the same treatment without the right backing.

I guess it depends. my (good) drummer brings a heavy groove when I jam.... not at the soloing stage yet though.

Interesting topic, the respect of the bassist is related, as is the notion of 'solo' instruments and 'backing' instruments. Bunk IMO. It's called lead bass.
    It's up to the bassist to bring the funk, If you drown the crowd in groove the drummer should have no hesitation to jump in... at least that's my feeling.
    The best grooves need the drums and bass working together. :hyper: :bassist:

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    LOL, for over a year I've been telling my BL, "look, I really don't like to solo and I'm not very good at it." And he'd keep making me take them... and every time the dance floor would clear out.

So I think he's finally getting the message cause he hasn't dropped one on me for the last few shows. :D

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Here's some relevant advice:

It's hardly fresh, but it's true. FUNK IT TILL THEY SCREAM!!! :bassist: :bassist:

6. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    "Who can solo over that?"

NHOP.

He sounded amazing with or without accompaniment (sp?).

7. CrashCarlisle

CrashCarlisle

Sep 13, 2011
    Same issue with my band. They want me to solo and DRAW IT OUT...I tell them if I wanted to play a solo, I'd play guitar.

But I have fun with it. Sometimes I just smash on my bass, sometimes I play a crappy solo using the proper notes for the key, sometimes I just wave, sometimes I just play the song's beat...I think next time I'll ask the audience to raise their hands if they want to see a bass solo.

Sad thing for me is, I was working on a solo using the lead guitar part from My Sharona...and then my band decided to use "Drive Me Wild" as the song for band introduction. It's a horrible beat for me to solo to....crap!

8. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I've always had the same point of view. I don't stop playing during guitar, horn or keyboard solos. Why do they think they have to stop when I take 8 or 12 or 16? Who wants to hear an unaccompanied solo in the middle of a song, regardless of the instrument? Makes no sense.

9. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    HAHA! That's what I've been trying to tell my brother for years. He does a solo acoustic act and he'll do leads of up to 12 bars sometimes in the middle songs. The whole bottom drops out and the rythym and melody of the song dissapears. He's a great electric blues rock guitarist but alone on acoustic it just fails. I tell him to just strum the cords, maybe throw in a few signature licks quickly, play the melody line or whistle along or something but he won't listen. He's just gotta dazzle everyone with his speed and flash. :rollno:

10. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I know the pain Jaywa!!! my BL does the same :crying:

11. Raudsarw

Raudsarw

Feb 26, 2012
    People in this thread are complaining... that their band actually wants bass solos? Did I wake up in some alternate dimension today?

12. Ha! I was thinking the same ...quite often the 'real soloists' dont want the competition.....:smug:
    I am at the stage where I can take 4 or 8 bars, and it's nice to have the room to do that in our outfit....even once in a nite.

13. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

My band plays "Hot Legs" by Rod Stewart. Their is like a four bar bass solo after the second chorus. Thats all my band gives me.

14. I have two solos one in Thrill is gone BB king the other Running Down a Dream Tom Petty
    Both are something our fans look forward to and I have been approached when I have decided to leave out or cut short a solo and I get what happen I was waiting all night for an RT Slinger kick a$$ bass solo you owe me! Yeah my head always has trouble getting out of the door after a show ha ha ha.

15. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    RTslingers band has chosen well where to put a bass solo , this is the tricky part, you probably have to explain to your bandmates what to do beforehand or do what RT's
    did and pick a tune that has the context built in so they can just vamp and NOT drop out.

It's rude , ignorant , sabotaging and petty.

16. Fortunately, my band treats bass solos the same way they treat guitar solos- everyone else just plays the basic verse form.

17. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I get to do the cool little rundown hammeron parts in "Pigs". Guitar player plays the keyboard line then since we are a three piece and I play the guitar rythym parts on his lead. Not easy tune for a three piece but so fun to play.

18. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    This stems from the days before amplification. Big band era. In order for a bass solo to be heard the band had to drop to a whisper, and it became the form. It persists today for a lot of reasons, mainly because that's what people are used to hearing when there's a bass solo, so they think that's what they're supposed to do.

19. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway

Yep, he was a true virtouso.. sad to see him go

20. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    My drummer wants me to take more bass solos, but he does the same thing, everyone drops out and leaves me with the equivalent of a click track. its annoying.
    My favorite bass solos are simple ones that fit the song like the one in Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and the one in Kindergarten by Faith No More