Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wooday04, Dec 20, 2001.

1. wooday04

wooday04

Dec 17, 2001
    anyone know any cool bass songs i might learn to play? im gettin kinda bored with no cool bass songs to learn. thanks.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Come together" by the Beatles is pretty cool.

"Roxanne" by The Police is cool too.

3. longview by green day
    in the meantime by spacehog
    walk on the wild side by lou reed
    bombtrack by RATM
    sliver by nirvana

EDIT: I wish i could spell.

4. "Xanadu" by Rush.

"So I Got to Groove" by Tower of Power.

"Air on the G String: 2nd Movement from Orchestral Suite No.3 in D" by J.S. Bach (sounds great on the bass as an accompaniment; good for the ear!).

"Tommy the Cat" by Primus. :)

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Where'd ya learn that? ;)

If you had stuck around, you would've done Bach's Suite (cello, no?) in C minor. Which, btw, is KILLER on bass.

6. Are you still taking lessons from Randy, Angus?

If you are, ask to check his email once in awhile :) I sent him a long 'whatsup and update' letter a week or two ago, no response.

I've got that cello suite around here in one of my bass books...

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I absolutely am! Thanks again for the referral! :D

Actually, I take weekly lessons from him now, and I even bought his double bass! He's a little more friendly now. :)

I'll hound him about replying to you, I promise! Going to start up lessons with him again sometime?

8. "Jake to the bone" and "Dave's gone skiing" by Toto are quite fun to play along to. Try to find a drummer that can play "Dave's gone skiing" and don't let go of him/her...

They definately don't sound like the sweet ballads their famous for...

9. Originally posted by Angus

Actually, I take weekly lessons from him now, and I even bought his double bass! He's a little more friendly now. :)

Lol! :D

That's a good one! I can just imagine! He shows you this really tough line, you shred thru it the first time with some 'you should know better!' mistakes, and USUALLY he would sit back, glowering at you, sigh, and say, "What was that?"

Now, he just forces a smile and gets out "That was good! But we need to FOCUS on just a couple of areas." ;)

You don't have to hound him; just let him know I wrote :)

I would like to start up again with him in the future, but my wrist won't allow me to play for extended periods; especially doing technical stuff, arpeggios, scales and scale related exercises. I just play as much as I'm able when I can, but I have definitely reduced playing time significantly. Lessons would be a waste of time for both Randy and me at present. I tell him all about this stuff in my letter.

How do you like URB?

10. The Theme Fiasco by Mxpx
    Around the World by Red Hot Chili Peppers

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    cast away-green day

bp13

12. 'Santaria" and "Badfish" sublime... ok anything sublime less than jake and mustardplug are fun too

13. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I think the Incubus song Battlestar Scralatchtica is really fun. Naked In The Rain by Red Hot Chili Peppers is kinda fun also.

14. I think that what I got you gotta get it put it in ya by Red Hot Chilli Peppers Is a good bass song.
    I also thing that higher ground by them is a good bass song.

Also my name is mud and big brown beaver by Primus are good bass songs.