bass songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xdr4g0nx, Jan 4, 2002.

1. xdr4g0nx

Jan 2, 2002
    i jsut started and i need some good songs with lots of electric bass guitar in it for me to pratice but i can't seem to find ne please help thanx
  2. Why don't you start of with some of the songs that you like to listen to - OK you might not be able to play all of them yet, but with practice you'll get there!!:D

Oh, and welcome to TalkBass!!!! :D
  3. xdr4g0nx

Jan 2, 2002
    thanx for replying and the welcome, but the thing is i usually listen to freestyle and rave, y'know its all electronicly made or the bass part is really weak.
  4. The best thing you can do is learn notation. It's not as hard as it seems and there is a load of songs in standard notation available at It's also good to learn theory because when you've learned a little of theory it becomes easier to pick up the bass lines in say electronic music.

Oh, and welcome to talkbass.
  5. Hello, and a warm welcome to Talk Bass.

Why not try a few of the oldies? There seems to be a movement back to the 60s and 70s styles so why not check out:

Cream; Jack Bruce: Led Zepplin; JP Jones: The Who; John Entwhistle: Jimi Hendrix; Noel Reading: Beatles; Sir Paul McCartney: Yes; Chris Squire: etc.

Of course, there is a miriad of bands to go to for inspiration. As well as the above I'd check out: Status Quo, Slade, Black Sabbeth, BB King's band, Soul music bands from that era...the list's endless.

Importantly, perhaps, much of the earlier stuff was often recorded in quite a simple way which means the bass is not buried in the mix so is quite easy to hear.