Bass Soul Food Mods (or alternatives)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by f8h, Nov 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. f8h

f8h

Oct 18, 2011
    SJ, Costa Rica
    I've looked around and there seems to be no valuable info on mods for this pedal. Some info on the moded guitar Soul Food but still not much.

JHS is no longer doing theirs and can't find a schematic to do it myself. Alchemy's mod seems too simple by adding just two diodes. Monte Allums' seems like the only option but it's the least talked about. Not a single demo or comment on it anywhere! Has anyone tried any of these mods and care to comment on them? Hopefully even compare them? Even comments on the stock Bass Soul Food would be appreciated since it seems some people love it and some hate it. :roflmao:

If it's not worth it I'll just look for another overdrive that let's me blend in the clean signal. Doesn't help that none really seem to stand out from reading around. Really mixed comments on mostly everything it seems (either LOVE or HATE).

Thanks!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, one of the two JHS mods is just "adding two diodes". It also has a bass boost switch. I find I always have both switches engaged. But, honestly, the blend knob is more useful than any mod. Simply blending in a little of your clean tone will make up for how much most drives drain bass frequencies.

droo46 likes this.
  3. There's a bass Soul Food with a blend knob and I think it sounds killer, especially for how inexpensive it is.

Spidey2112 and WillyW like this.
  4. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    I have geetar one modded by alchemy audio, no clue what they did but I have cool blue light and red knobs!

bought it that way, for the same price as unmodded…

I do prefer the geetar model to the bass model for bass.

FA165-F7-B-91-BE-4-CC7-8-A07-18876137-A606.jpg

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. I have a Bass Soul Food - Unmodded and I also have a Foxpedal Killface - Klon clone specifically designed for bass.

I can get almost the exact same tone out of both of these pedals but the Killface always win's the which sounds better test when asked.

The soul food can get a little more wild with the highs when the treble knob is maxed out, the killface definitely won't go into that territory it's a pretty dark sounding pedal to begin with. I max out the tone knob on it and roll it back slightly and that tends to be where I like it, meanwhile the soul food with the same tone has the treble knob right around noon.

WillyW and Spidey2112 like this.
  6. f8h

f8h

Oct 18, 2011
    SJ, Costa Rica
    Thanks for the replies! Not sure what happened with the alert settings but talkbass didn't notify me so I thought this thread was born dead.

Interesting to see some have the guitar version despite a bass model existing. Has anyone else tried any of these?

Thanks again!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022