1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass sound question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chrapladm, Apr 29, 2009.

1. chrapladm

chrapladm

Nov 7, 2007
    Adelaide, SA
    Here is a clip on you of the sound I would like to achieve in a bass guitar.

I love the low end growl on Garrison's bass. The beginning reminds me of a flight of the Bumble bee sound. Around 1:19 it reminds me of a sound I try to get when playing music like Mudvayne. Then it goes right into the jazzy walking bass line sound. I am not sure which woods I would need to use for making a sound very similar to his and that is why I am asking any of the luthiers here if they have any suggestions? I know he uses Seymor Duncan pickups, but I was thinking of trying Villex or someone else instead but wanted to know what anyone would suggest using. I know I could buy a Fodera but I would have to rob a bank and I enjoy my freedom to much. So to anyone who can help I would much appreciate it. Thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    TBH that sounds like nothing so much as a Fender J bass, with occasional dips down into a low B string. I'd bet that the single biggest contributor to his tone (aside from his hands) is the pickups and their placement. After that, the preamp and the strings. The woods used to build the bass are so far down the list of influence that I wouldn't even consider them at all until/unless I had already perfected everything else.

Edit: I notice he has a D-Tuner on the bass which he adjusts sometimes, and he also has a few effects pedals which contribute to his tone.

3. chrapladm

chrapladm

Nov 7, 2007
    Adelaide, SA
    I am not sure if he has a set neck or what either? I have always liked the Tom Kennedy placement on basses. 2 tight to the bridge pickups. Not sure if it would matter if they were soapbars or singles. I was thinking about maybe using some Villex pickups and someone mentioned Delanos and another said Nordy's but I have not tried out all these pickups before so I would not know where to start. I have Delanos in my 6 string now and they were a huge change from the passive crap that came with the bass. But thats the extent of my knowledge as far as what sounds good. I have singles in my 5 string and I think they sound fine. So do you recommend using any certain brand pickups? Or soapbars or Singles