1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass sound

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by John repeti, Feb 9, 2019.

1. John repeti

John repeti

Feb 9, 2019
    How do you obtain a punvhy bass sound

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    First, objectively define what you mean by punchy.

3. John repeti

John repeti

Feb 9, 2019
    Straight out,clear,defined,bottom end dry sound without any booming,that when youhear the bass drum they both sound as one,heard dario bortollin last nite,amazing sound,one i cant seem to emulate

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Just getting a good bass sound in actual acoustic space can be very challenging. Part of the problem is the reflections of low frequency energy bouncing around the venue masks the direct sound of the bass. The longer the decay time of the reflections, typically the more boomy the bass is. My personal approach is to position and aim my speakers to increase the ratio of direct/indirect sound reaching my ears. I suggest Googling Masking and Frequency slotting.

The next problem is a sound that works solo often does not work in a mix. This is related to masking as well. The trick is to figure out which frequency bands you key off and use EQ to give a little bit of broadband boost so your sound pops out of the mix. The EQ controls on many amps have fixed center frequencies. Either find an amp that gives you a voicing you like, or use an amp that has a more flexible EQ that allows you to dial in the center frequencies you like.

In bad acoustics spaces, an equally important strategy is to avoid exciting the room at problem frequencies. Consider applying a narrow band cut at problem frequencies. In really bad acoustic spaces, you may find the best solution is simply turn down or cut the low end excessively, and just do the best you can.

Many people prefer to get a sound on stage that they believe will work equally well for the audience. I believe that the sound should be customized for different purposes. My personal approach is to use my amp as a personal monitor and to send a flat unprocessed signal from my bass to FOH. I set my stage sound so the bass pops out of the mix, allowing me to hear as clearly as possible. Then, the Audio Tech EQs and compress's my flat unprocessed signal as desired so the bass sits well in the mix. You have to decide for yourself which approach is best.

I also elevate my cab and aim it at my ears so I can monitor at the lowest possible level. Ideally I monitor at a level that is low enough to prevent my stage sound from degrading the house mix.

THUNDERGODX likes this.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I would guess that whoever was doing sound applied some frequency slotting around the kick and bass to keep them both distinct. As a PA guy I can also put compressor on the bass that will knock a little volume down and sidechain trigger that from a gate on the kick - or vice versa. Kick as trigger is more common I think. Sounds crazy but just a split second reduction on one side or the other can make the whole thing more distinct

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    THUNDERGODX, Passinwind and Wasnex like this.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge