Bass Sounds Distorted with New Strings [Solved]

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hintons1, Feb 28, 2019.

1. hintons1

hintons1

Jan 1, 2017
    So I recently changed the strings on a Squier J-Bass V two days ago and ever since the new set has been on when I turn the pickups up 100% the signal sounds really distorted. I'm wondering if this is a pickup problem or whether it simply is just the new strings being a little too alive whilst they're still new. They're rotosound swing bass's and I've used them before and haven't had this problem. Any advice or anybody heard of anything like this before?

Thanks!

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Have you tried the bass on another amp? Does another bass on the same amp do this? I'm assuming it didn't do it before you changed the strings. But I've never had a the output of a bass change because of a string change.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

I think I'd check my pickup height. You might, indeed, have a higher output with the new strings - or the old ones were much deader than you thought. But, yeah, "pickup height" was my first thought. Some pickups - like the Filtertrons in my Gretsch - can be very sensitive to that...;)

4. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Are the strings very different from what was on there before?

As GIBrat says, check your pickup height, and maybe drop them by a full turn of the screws.

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Try lowering the pickups.

6. hintons1

hintons1

Jan 1, 2017
    As an update I feel very stupid but I was running my bass through an effects unit and it turns out I'd altered one of my effects by accident which was causing the sound change! I would delete this thread but I believe they took away the option but thank you all for the help!

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

First step of troubleshooting, remove all unnecessary equipment.

paco facile and hintons1 like this.
  8. Thanks for the update. Now when someone resurrects this thread 8 years down the road, we will all know what happened. :cool:

Crusher47 and hintons1 like this.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks for posting this...we need more closure in our lives. I hate it when folks fail to post follow-ups when a problem is resolved. Enjoy!

Riis

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022