Bass Speaker Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thegroovemaster, Feb 27, 2010.

1. How important is the low end Freq. Response of a replacement bass speaker, i.e. the Delta Lite II 2500 is rated at 60Hz, while the Legend BP-102 is rated at 40Hz...

...or in general any opinion on a 10" replacement speaker is appreciated.

thanks - tgm

2. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff

Apr 3, 2008
    That aspect is only moderately important.

As to which speaker to use, it depends totally on the box it's to go into and there's likely several that could be suitable.

As to something specific, I've had good luck with Eminence BP-102 in my specific application. You're likely to get recommendations that range from suitable to totally unsuitable, so you can ignore mine too.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    http://www.eminence.com/resources/data.asp

You would be wise to take the third sentence in the power handling section with a grain of salt, or you will be roasted over the coals for all eternity, or at least it will seem like it............................

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It isn't, as the response of the driver inside the cab is what counts, and rudimentary specs won't tell you that.

5. Thank you Bill. I did gather your response to help make my decision, which was Basslite S2010, I'm pleased.

For a 12" speaker cabinet if I use 1/2" birch, does the sound characterics differ somewhat vs. 3/4", and should the face plate to mount the speaker/tweeter be 3/4" in either case?

6. BTW - Anyone interested in the 10" bass speaker I replaced (4 ohms 250 Watts) just pay for shipping. The cone endured a minor tear which was easily repaired and still sounds fine does not flutter.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021