Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass speakers in home built cabs disaster??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sbskates, Jan 3, 2005.

1. sbskates

sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    say i buy some eminence delta 10's and put em in a cab i build to the same dimensions of a 410 swr or ampeg whichever uses eminence waht adverse sounds reactions will happen that the speakers wont like the cabs
    will eat honk whistle burp eat my bass ??? whats up here??????

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes, definite search time
    ok, so i didnt read cab 101 so i might be redundant here.... :p
    eminice should give you thiele/small parameters for any speaker they sell which will tell you how big to build the cabinet. If i were gonna build a 410 i'd do one the size of the old swr goliath 1 and 2/eden 410t just becasuse it's compact and the porting is a no brainer. I'd look for good drivers that worked well in a cab that size (exterior 23x23x18.5 - although with the baffle included in the calc exterior would probably be more like 23x23x17.5) you do the rest of the math like subtracting the wood thickness, i'm tired......... :p

4. sbskates

sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    i will go to that site and i was wondering today if eminence would have paremiters.

thanks!!!!! steve

5. sbskates

sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    i read on a site that these new car subs we all hear out there would be good for bass ,,,,,,,any comments?

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no, no, no, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those speakers are completely different than bass guitar speakers. They are generally designed to reproduce a very narrow frequency response (bass or low mids), and are MUCH less sensitive than bass guitar speakers. A typical Bass guitar driver might have a sensitivity of 100 - 103 dB, while a car audio sub might have one of 90. That means if you want to have that car speaker as loud as a bass speaker is at 100 watts, you're going to need 1000 - 2000 watts to do it. and after all that, It'll sound terrible. If car audio speakers sounded good for bass, epifani would stuff them into their cabinets.

7. sbskates

sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    thats what i thought

8. sbskates

sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    what if they are in the db range and freq range

9. Then they wouldn't be subs. The frequency range on a car sub is usually 20 hz to maybe 200 hz. But that's kind of what the Acme series is all about. So if you have a PLX3002 you might like it as long as you find another woofer to cover the range from 200 on up. Sounds like alot of extra work and money to me.

Generally, speaker building is more for fun and curiousity than it is for saving money.

10. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    All of the T/S parameters and recomended enclosure volumes are listed on the Eminence website (www.eminence.com). For a warmer sound use the Beta series. The Deltas have a more traditional (Eden, SWR, etc) sound.