Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Specialty Store

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by shaggyc_umr, Aug 13, 2002.

1. I was wondering if anyone knows of a Bass Specialty Store anywhere near me (a la BassNW, Basscentre, Bass Gallery, etc.) Those are the only ones that I ever hear about. Why do people always forget about the people in the middle of the country.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Did you check your yellow pages?

3. Yep. unfortunately no luck. Are there any in Chicago where you are??

Scott

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Make'n Music, but while they're a high-end store, their selection is not limited to basses.

You can always find 2 or 3 MTDs, Rob Allens, Modulus', Specor (US models), Fenders, Fosters (which I've never heard of outside this store), Tacoma ABGs, a Rick Turner (I'm pretty sure), and a PRS (yuck!). They also have a decent selection of amps including Ashdown, Eden, Aguilar, EBS, and some others.

They do NOT have a website.

Another store is Flynn Guitars in Evanston, though I've had a few problems with them. They only have a few basses in stock, as they seem to not do so well in the bass department, despite what they might tell you. They do (or did) carry Jerzy Drozd, however. That was one thing I like about 'em. Other than that, I don't know any.

A way you can "back into" who might be in St. Louis is to go to luthiers websites (like MTD) and go to the "dealers" section. See who they list as dealers and contact them.

5. I heard someone mention on here of a place called Bass World in Louisville, KY. I don't know a thing about the place, but I've been meaning to find out. Not sure if that's any closer to you than Chicago, though; probably not.

6. Thanks guys. After college I have a job lined up in the Pacific NW. Then I can go to the hailed BassNW. Thank god. I'm really tired of guitar stores with hardly no selection when it comes to basses.

scott

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    <marquee>ROAD TRIP</marquee>:D

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, it's certainly not a specialty store pre se, but you're not too far from bill conklin's shop. that'd be worth a drive, imo :)

9. I've never seen one actually, one of my dreams though would be to start and all bass guitar/double bass store "The Bassics".

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I ever become independently wealthy, I am starting a bass only store in the D/FW area. It's my lifelong dream!