Bass Spinnning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jaysun, Dec 29, 2005.

1. jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    Ive seen guys spin their basses backwards in concerts but ive never seen anyone spin it forward liek a lot of electric guitarists do. I was trying forward spins yesterday but it ripped out my strap lock. anyhow, does anyone on here do forward spins with ease? Why is it so much harder with a bass?
  2. its bigger and heavier
  3. DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
  4. jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    my F-204 is a lot lighter than most electric guitars. It is longer though.

So no one else can throw there bass around them?
  5. i saw victor wooten do it...also a guy here on tb did it once and put the vid up here...but i don't remember who...
  6. I don't advise anything made of wood to be spun around at high velocity. ESPECIALLY an ESP, you might impale yourself or another...
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA

ESP, Jackson, or anything BC Rich!
  8. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I tried to learn this trick once.

When no one was around I'd pull out my beater bass, duct tape the strap on, and put on a hockey helmet.

I've never really been able to do it. I usually get hurt. The strap gives me burns on my neck and I usually get banged up pretty good.

I stopped trying to learn this move.

Damn you Wooten! Damn you!!!
  9. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'll try it eventually. Too scared it'll fly out, even though I have a strap lock strap - I'm sure the screws will fly out or something.

That and my basses right now I still kinda like, even though they're under $150 each.
  10. Hmmmm......tell you something?.... :meh:
  11. jjtsucka

Aug 31, 2004
    I gave my dean edge 5 a nice HUGE chip trying this at a practice. I did it twice on on front lawn with no problems but at practice the strap screw fell out and the rest of my band had a good laugh as i tried not to cry :crying: I've had it for 5 years now 4 at the time but despite the bruise it survived and plays great still what a trooper :bassist:
  12. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Tighten the screws before letting her loose.

I know John Cooper from Skillet does it at least once a show, with his GMP basses...those are like $3K instruments, I don't know if I'd trust myself with that...
  13. ^^
    I saw them at Cornerstone this year... John went for the flip, but something broke and the bass went flying. :spit:
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I thought this thread was about some weird cycling-related form of aerobics.. :ninja:
  15. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Too risky. Make sure no one in the audience takes your picture the moment you realize your bass is gone! :crying:

Do you think Victor practices this with his Fodera's?
  16. Haha that was me, I was just a punk kid back then. I only throw it forward never backwards. Here a video of my first ever.

And here's a photo of another one of mine.

Doubles are hard, I've been working on them.
  17. It's not really rocket science, you throw it, if you throw it hard enough it goes around, if you throw it too soft it sucks and everything goes wrong. I'm going to start working on backwards doubles and triples.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Two things I've learned about it...

1. You need a strap that's totally friction free.
    2. You should practice with a gig bag so you don't get walloped in the head like I did.

BTW, I don't know if Vic practiced with his Fodera, but if you look closely at his original Monarch, you will notice all sorts of dings. That is because Vic has sent that bass flying a few times. I asked him about that a long time ago, and he made the comment that I made in another thread about "I play the bass. The bass doesn't play me." Then he said that yes, the Foderas are expensive, but he brings his style to each bass he plays and doesn't allow the expense of the bass to dictate how gentle or rough he is on it.
  19. hellsgate

Dec 27, 2005
    Too damn right! It's a machine (albeit a very special one)! Treat it like one and make it show you respect!