1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Squeeze, Ashdown Dual Compression Or Boss LMB3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by m3t4lhed, Jun 15, 2007.

1. m3t4lhed

m3t4lhed

Jun 15, 2007
    Chennai, India
    I have a Yamaha RBX 270. I want to get a compressor under $100. I live in India and they dont sell these pedals over here. wanted to order it online. which one should i get?

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    don't discount the marshall ed 1 comp. made in india i believe!

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    bongomania has some sweet reviews of those (except maybe the squeeze) and many others, you should check them out. there is a link in his signature... maybe I'll get it for you

edit:
    http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html

and he does review all of those

4. m3t4lhed

m3t4lhed

Jun 15, 2007
    Chennai, India
    one more question, instead of getting a compressor is it better to get a hartke attack pedal or a should i stick with the compressor till i get a better bass?? my instructor told me that the attack pedal is way too powerful for a bass like mine and sed that i should stick with a compressor for now. i just want my dynamics to improve and the slapping and popping to be powerful.

Help Please!!!

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Wait, your instructor told you it was too powerful? That doesn't make any sense. I don't think he knows what it is...

The Hartke Bass Attack (VXL) is a preamp pedal. It gives you tone shaping controls, overdrive, and tube-like processing (all of which are nice for recording). It's not my cup of tea, but there are plenty of people on TB who like it.

Compressors won't "improve" your dynamics, per se, but they'll provide some stability to them, and often some punch, too. If you want a good clean slap sound, a compressor will be more useful than the VXL, IMO.

With that being said... Of the three you listed, only the LMB-3 is well-liked around here. The other two get some pretty bad reviews...

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Of those three, for slapping and popping, I would only recommend the LMB3. :)

7. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    HELLO! WELCOME TO TALKBASS! im the forum's 13 yr old with a mountain of gear. we are all pretty close in the effects forum, and we all get along well. we welcome you with open arms.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    :rolleyes:

9. m3t4lhed

m3t4lhed

Jun 15, 2007
    Chennai, India
    thnks

10. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    i've been playing with the Ashdown Dual Compressor for a few months now.. and to tell you the truth, i'm not all that impressed. it looks purdy with that VU, but the compression it doles out is not what i'm looking for.. still tweaking with it, though, so we'll see how long it takes for it to come off my pedal board.

11. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Me? How things work?

You'd be better off asking JoeP, Bongo, or Nifty. I'm a dunce compared to them.

12. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    .....plans.......hmmmmm...................*has brilliant strike*

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA

[​IMG]

14. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    I would try the Rocktron Big Crush Compressor very nice and cheap.

:ninja:

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I must have gotten a dud Rocktron- the one I had was easily one of the worst pedals I've ever owned, far worse than Behringer. I sold it on Ebay and the customer complained, it was so bad.

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You overloaded it with your bass. Guitar pedals don't work on bass :bag:

...if even the customer complained... oy. Why not give the Big Crush another shot?

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well, if one shows up magically on my doorstep, I'll bother with it. Otherwise, I lose money every time I buy a pedal for reviewing; I lose on the postage I paid, and I lose because it seems like when I'm the high bidder I'm always willing to pay a few dollars more than whoever is the high bidder when later I sell it. Sometimes it takes literally several hours (over a period of weeks) to wait-and-hunt for "the best price"... making that price somewhat of a joke if I consider the "value" of my labor hours. It's a very expensive hobby. To give the Rocktron, the FMR's, or any other unit I panned a second chance is essentially to say "Yes, I feel like just giving a few dollars to Ebay, a few dollars to Paypal, and a few dollars to UPS or USPS, and later I'll just flush a few more dollars down the toilet for fun."

18. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Why spread out all those dollars between those different places? Just give it all to me :D

19. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Well i read your review before buying mine, and I refused to believe it just beacause the good reviews i read out weighed the bad. I went ahead and bought it anyway and I really love it!

20. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :smug:

I get what you mean, though... the people who contribute the most to TB's "bank account" of information, also contribute the most to everyone else's bank account. I know how that feels.

Oh, and Salty Beans... sweet! I'm in your sig! :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021