1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass stable

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Milo, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    Right now I have just one bass to relearn on. I started playing again after a 14 year hiatus. Currently playing an ESP/LTD B404. Once I get better I would like to add more bases to the stable as funds allow. Just curious if the basses I would like to add make sense to other players. I'm thinking basses that all have different sounds from each other but have sounds that are common to the bass.
    I would like to add the following:

Fender P bass with flats.
    EBMM Stingray HH
    Peavey Cirrus.

All would be 4 stingers. Do these choices make for a good stable?

2. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    It depends.
    Are they what you want?

As you know they all sound different but, (IMO) only you can really determine if in fact this stable really is a good one.

I currently only have two in mine a 4 string RBX170 from Yamaha a good P/J bass that I use for a good passive sound for ballads and light acoustic type stuff and a 5 string Ibanez ATK305 that can do anything from being aggressive to sensitive on the fly with just a flick of a switch. For some 2 basses aren't even a stable but, too me it's a perfect stable.

Now as far as getting the answer to wether the basses you listed are a good idea or not to obtain. I think I need some answers first:

1. What are you going to play them through?

2. What style of music do you plan on using them for?

3. What's your budget?

Also you might want to ask yourself if you really need them all or just 1 or 2?

For example I notice that the Cirrus and the Stingray HH both have double humbuckers.

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Recently I bought three P basses.....One Amer. V, one Road Worn and a Deluxe (active).....I don't go for any exotic basses, I know they are out there but I go for stock out of the box Fenders.....Each bass was under $1500...... in most players budget..:cool:.

4. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    No.

Your stable still would need a hollowbody, a fretless, a short scale, maybe a headless, a double bass, a true vintage, perhaps an acoustic and a synth...

5. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    ^fail

Yes but the p needs rounds

6. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    :D

7. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    I play thru a Hartke LH 500 amp and Hartke 410XL. I prefer rock,classic rock,and hard rock if that makes any sense? I'm waaay to old for any speed metal!

Ok just so I know! P bass are played with rounds instead of flats?Jazz basses are best with flats then? I'm still learning fellas so please excuse my ignorance.

XthedeadPawn brought up a good point. The Cirrus and the Stingray both have double humbuckers. I'd think I'd still go for the Stingray only because everyone here on TB raves about them.

Randy,
    LOL! Now your being funny!!!
    Thanks for the posts fellas......have a great weekend.

8. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Your stable would need a workhorse.

I know, REALLY bad joke.

9. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Than the P bass would proably do great for you and so would the stingray to clarify flats can go on a P or any bass for that matter as strings can go on anything I'm sure you know/heard of a band called Iron Maiden their bassist Steve Harris uses a P bass with flats on them as a matter of fact Fender recently came out with a signature model based on his purple P bass with flats. I can assure you rock can be played on flats if you wanted. It's all about prefrence.