1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass stack for rock band club -- Orange? Markbass? Other?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shlinder, Jun 3, 2017.

1. shlinder

shlinder

Jun 3, 2017
    I am also looking for a bass head/cab setup... for a high school rock band club, i.e. several rock bands each year. We play in our own medium-sized venue (club-sized), school halls, and yearly outdoor basketball court gigs... and go to other schools and perform in rock band competitions. When I'm doing sound with our school gear, I always mic the amps through our portable 16 channel board. I'm looking for solid, reliable and powerful, yet portable heads. I'll take whatever cabs I buy with us if the competition/school/club/venue doesn't have their own. We're in Hong Kong. More opportunities than you'd think. :)

Anyhow, I am currently buying all new gear. For my guitar players, I just purchased two Orange Dark Terrors and PPC212s, and was thinking of staying in the Orange line (consistent "look") and buying an OB1-500 and OBC212 for our bass, but I haven't been reading good things about isobaric amps (hear that they're heavy and still no different in volume than a 112), and have been thinking about the 115 instead. My school is very supportive of good, reliable equipment that is not TOO expensive (no Hughs & Kettner). For us, switching to cabs/heads allows more flexibility when units die. (OB1-500 & OBC212 pushing budget)

But then I started to look at other micro/lunchbox bass amps and found the Markbasses, and in particular that Markbass Little Mark III and New York 151 Bass Stack.

So... questions:

1. How does that Markbass stack compare to the OB1-500 and OBC212 stack?

2. Is that shift in cost worth it? For my situation?

3. Any thoughts on the OBC212 vs 115 bass cab?

4. Should I rather consider another stack like that Ampeg PF-500 Portaflex?

5. Any other micro/lunchbox bass amps that I should consider? I want to stay portable and simple - none of my kids fiddle around too much with settings... basically plug and play.

Remember that my students like, of course, the cool looking stuff and are quite sold on the look of Orange. Maybe I should stick with that since my two guitarists will be all Orange, but I need to be confident and able to justify it all to my school (like I said, pushing our budget). And, if I stay Orange, decide between the 212 and 115.

All help appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I get the aesthetics influencing your choice, but I wouldn't let that drive my decision unless non-musical budget watchers dictate otherwise.
    I've tried the Orange isobaric 212 and didn't find anything to like about it. It was heavy, muffled, and lacked balls. I can't say I've tried any other Orange cabinets.
    What other brands are available in Hong Kong?

squidtastic and smogg like this.
  3. shlinder

shlinder

Jun 3, 2017
    In stores? That I have seen so far: Orange, Markbass, Ampeg, Mesa Boogie, Eden, Genz Benz, Hartke, TC Electronic and some others.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  4. shlinder

shlinder

Jun 3, 2017
    Well, I want to try to match the coolness factor of Orange guitar amps. Maybe the Little Mark III will balance well. I hate the blue glow of the Hughs & Kettner guitar heads. One salesman really likes Ampeg, but said (with a bashful smile) that he might still go for the Orange. But yes, I'm open to other stuff.

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    My favorite stack right now is a Mesa Subway D-800 amp, Subway 112 + Subway 115.
    You can't go wrong with Ampeg, although it's not my preference.

Fat Freddy, Aqualung60 and hopwheels like this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mesa Boogie is in a class by itself from that group.

7. shlinder

shlinder

Jun 3, 2017
    Yes, but it's also the most costly, so I was avoiding that to use as my "it is not the most expensive" defense for whatever else I was going to buy.

Britur likes this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What's your max budget?

9. shlinder

shlinder

Jun 3, 2017
    I'm very uncomfortable going above USD$1,000 total. After discount, I'm already at that threshhold with the OB1-500 and OBC212. That's why I'm hesitating and looking elsewhere to be confident if and when I do go for that stack. I'll happily switch to something else if recommendations and research are strong enough, or I continue to hear people poopooing the Orange.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  10. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I wasn't impressed with the isobaric Orange cabs, but their 410 sounds huge and is damn near indestructible.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hughes & Kettner doesn't make any bass gear though.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  12. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    If it was a jazz ensemble I'd jump on recommending Markbass. Disclosure: that's what I use. For rock, I like Fender Rumble and the Ampeg BA series and Hartke. Prices of these are in your preferred neighborhood.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  13. shlinder

shlinder

Jun 3, 2017
    Sorry, got confused because of all the searching I have also been doing for guitar heads.

14. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    IMG_0093.JPG
    That's about $1300 usd.

Jim Carr and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    If you are buying gear that a bunch of high school kids are going to be using, I'd go with something rugged and not too expensive. Hartke would be a solid choice more so than pricey gear like Mesa and Orange. Hartke is widely available in Asia and easy to get repaired by a liscensed dealer if stuff gets broken. And trust me it will if lots of students are going to be using it.

Jim Carr, ERIC31, jcburn and 5 others like this.
  16. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    You have a chance to teach them what is Really Cool. Or some other sustaining values. This is a school, no? If they OBEY and never touch the controls (which is weird) maybe they are teachable. Nothing is more cool or will last longer than a used Ampeg 8 10 with iron, not modern light weight neo speakers. You might have to show videos of huge gig after gig with that very stack on stage. Or any non neo set up, used, maybe donated. Do people do that? Here, you put out the call for used instruments and equipment for kids, and you get a truck load. There's so much abandoned equipment around in basements and closets...
    For sure Hartle is the best value for volume, but Ampeg is very sturdy, life long sturdy. At least it was... That's why there is so much Ampeg stuff around used.

Blankandson likes this.
  17. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    guitarflinger and noahw1 like this.
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    PS: Roadies are not optional with this rig. You'll need them. :D

cchorney likes this.
  19. shlinder

shlinder

Jun 3, 2017
    What cab is that?
    What is a good head to go with that?

20. shlinder

shlinder

Jun 3, 2017