Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass stack vs. microwave; EE majors HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Nov 18, 2001.


  1. FalsehoodBass

    FalsehoodBass

    Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    ok, so my situation requires that i have my bass fullstack in my apartment now... i have an 810 and a 1400watt poweramp.... besides the impending wrath of the neighbors, i have a few problems...

    magnetic fields.... i can't put it next to the tv... i can't put it next to the computer.... but can I put it next to the microwave?

    assuming the bass stuff is turned off when the microwave is on, and vice versa.... will everything be cool? Sounds dumb, but i've already broken a TV like this a few years ago, and it wasn't even turned on., I'd rather not break a microwave too, or worse yet, my bass stuff
    thanks for any help
    Brian.
     
  2. That's a big rig for your apartment:D. I can't see any problem with that. Others may have insights into this (MikeyD?). As for the TV, you can fix that crazy screen caused by magnetic fields by having the TV degaussed. Most TV repair places have degaussers. Actually, most new TVs have a degausser built in, which degausses the tube every time the TV's turned on. I can't see an amplifier doing any more damage than that to a TV, but again, I could be wrong;).
     
  3. MikeyD

    MikeyD

    Sep 9, 2000
    Usually it's the loudspeaker magnets that cause trouble for CRT's (including TV and monitor tubes). Most computer speakers are shielded from magnetic fields so they won't mess up the monitor.

    I'd say try an experiment with the microwave: measure how long it takes to boil 8 oz. of water with the amp away from it vs. how long near it! If no difference, then you're probably okay. Microwave oven magnetrons don't have to emit rays in precise patterns the way CRT guns do.
    My understanding of degaussing is it neutralizes stray magnetic field build-up. I kind of doubt it would help much with a 20-lb alnico magnet sitting next to the tube. I may be wrong, though.

    - Mike
     
  4. FalsehoodBass

    FalsehoodBass

    Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    wow i love TB... ask a question and 2 helpful replies within half an hour....

    the tv is pretty old.. i'm a college student and it's a hand-me-down.... so i'm not gona try my luck and see if a degausser is built in....

    i'll give the microwave thing a shot.. i'm more worried about my amp getting messed up,but hopefully everything will be fine...

    thanks again..
     
  5. geshel

    geshel

    Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm with MikeyD. The magnetic field from the speakers is going to be very weak that far (a few feet I'm assuming :) ) away. TVs and monitors are just really sensetive to that (think about how small a pixel is, and then think that it is really three things! red, green, and blue. The electrons have to hit the right ones to get the right color mix. )

    Also, if the microwave is doing anything that could harm your amp, then I think all microwave owners should be a bit worried! :eek: :D
     
  6. SRSiegel

    SRSiegel Guest

    Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    yeah man, college life rules... anyways, im with mikeyD too. the microwave should be fine, as it doesnt depend on precision electron emmission. just dont put it next to a monitor of any kind. your speakers will be fine. I keep my stack in a dorm room. it of advice though, be careful with the placement of your stack if you have a computer in the room. I had this problem earlier, where i was practicing while my roommate was saving something to his hard drive. the low frequency vibrations caused the "needle" in the hard drive to skip, and caused fatal errors. he had to reformat teh hard drive and reinstall windows... lunux...and all that. big pain. basically dont put the computer directly opposite from the stack, dont put the computer in a corner of the room, dont put it on the floor, and dont have the stack facing directly towards it. also avoid saving anything while playing bass. i had this problem during the first week of school. and my rig is about half the power of yours, so i though i should warn you... i know this is off topic, i just hate to see someone else go through that amount of frustration again. c ya.
     
  7. Matthias

    Matthias

    May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    A 1.6kW rig in a living room - that's America :D

    Seriously:
    I doubt that microwaves, monitors and such can do any harm to your amp. You might pick up some hum though, like with neon lamps - but I don't know if this is possible. Mike?

    And what about using a headphone out (or seperate headphone amp) in your appartment/dorm room?
    Helps keeping friends - unless you are a god on your instrument and practicing less than 1hour per week... :D
     
  8. Brad Johnson

    Brad Johnson Commercial User

    Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Keep the speakers away from your other electronics. Keep the amp away from the TV and microwave... set it close to the floor if necessary.